Missed runs due to vacation!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Not a runner-yet!

Missed runs due to vacation!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

I've missed two runs from week 7 due to vacation. I intended to run but you know how that goes. I'm going to try to continue where I left off. While on my trip I did an enormous amount of walking so I'm hoping that helps. My biggest fear is that I'll give up completely on the runs...
Jbutler

Re: Missed runs due to vacation!

Post by Jbutler »

I once missed two runs due to it being way too hot, I ended up just restarting the whole week the next week so I could keep my runs on the same schedule.

Keep up the hard work!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

I missed 2 weeks of runs mid program due to illness and was able to pick up where I left off, a little slower maybe, but the stamina you've built will take longer than that to decay. If your in this for life, surely, a run or two here and there won't make too much difference. Although I have to admit I am paranoid that a few missed runs will start to add up and suddenly I'm out of the habit and no longer a runner.
Not a runner-yet!

I finally was able to run, my breathing was great and I was able to finish the run but my legs were tired. I was definitely slower but I'm back to feeling like a runner!
hjeremy

Post by hjeremy »

i think that this is really a very common problem for me as my family loves long trips and i do miss a lot of runs and its really holding me back on my progress since you cant just really start right away where yo left off it is best that you go gradual o your daily running activities first as you might suddenly develop muscle aches due to too much exertion for your muscles.
Not a runner-yet!

Thanks, and I agree. I think I did ok because I was doing a lot of walking during my trip but I feel I lose stamina if I go too long between runs. I'm now on week 8 run 2 and keeping up nicely.