Rest days...(and Hi from a newbie!)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
SarahinShibs

Rest days...(and Hi from a newbie!)

Post by SarahinShibs »

I have just completed week 2/run 3 and I must say that the 1 1/2min runs have been hard but I have been able to complete all of them. Even though the running is hard, I have had no problem with recovery or injury and I think this is because I am starting with a solid fitness base. I am usually a gym bunny (although I don't run at the gym), spin class, eliptical etc... as well as walking my dog every morning for 40mins before work.

I started this programme because I am on holiday in the countryside for a month and I wanted to maintain some exercise. I also have always wanted to run because of the practicality (and portability!) of it so I thought this would be a good time to start learning! Anyway, I have been loving the running but find the rest days difficult to get through...What are your thoughts on missing rest days if you are not sore/tired after the runs? I don't want to push myself too much as I do find running difficult but I also feel like I could go a little faster with the programme. I'm pumped to try a 3min run (even though I think I will suck!). Any thoughts welcome. :D
Simongeorge

Re: Rest days...(and Hi from a newbie!)

Post by Simongeorge »

I think you should just listen to your body, your obviously fairly fit so you'll recover quite quickly in the earlier runs, so go for it, however, as the program continues and the runs get longer you'd probably be wise to start using the rest days.
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

Hi and welcome.

You sound fairly fit, way fitter than me. But I find the rest days quite important as i have had injury issues. I often use them to do something else like cycling or swimming. I have my first run of week 5 tomorrow and I did a mile in the swimming pool this morning.

Have a great holiday :) x
SarahinShibs

Post by SarahinShibs »

Thanks guys, I decided to take a rest day today and start week 3 tomorrow as I don't want to push too hard and injure myself. I have also had a good read through the forum and it seems that the best approach is to take it slow and have a longer term view so that's what I am going to (try) and do! It is hard though...I am really enjoying the challenge of it all as running is truly testing my boundaries. Digbycat - good luck with week 5 :)
Digbycat

Post by Digbycat »

Thank you :) its taken me a long time to get there and it's a bit daunting.
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

I think the rest days really help, although the program says to rest 2 days after each week I'll admit there have been times when I've only rested for one of those days. I think the object is to build stamina and that takes time. Although you do sound very fit! I'll start week 9 day after tomorrow and I never believed I'd get here! So the program works!! Good luck and keep running!!! :-)
Sheri