Silly idea?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Missbossie

Silly idea?

Post by Missbossie »

Both my sons (24 / 22 -still living at home) are very involved in sports. Now the youngest brought up the idea to do the Belgium Strong Man Challenge. 18k with obstacles. Not to win but dressed up, as long as we try to finish.
I sit and sit and sit most of my time at the office...... Today my first Get Running,will I make it to get a reasonable condition before May 2013???
Jbutler

Re: Silly idea?

Post by Jbutler »

My first "5k" was an obstacle course. I walked almost the whole thing because it was on a ski mountain and my partner was horribly out of shape. It was a lot of fun though, good luck!
Archer73

Post by Archer73 »

I started on the 4th of July, last night I ran for 50 minutes covering 8.5km. I was a complete non runner before so if I can make that sort of progress in two and a half months then getting up to 18 miles by next year is doable I think. Keep at it and once you've completed the program just keep adding time to your runs. I find the first 15 mins the worst, after that it's just a case of keep on going.
Missbossie

Post by Missbossie »

Archer73 wrote:I started on the 4th of July, last night I ran for 50 minutes covering 8.5km. I was a complete non runner before so if I can make that sort of progress in two and a half months then getting up to 18 miles by next year is doable I think. Keep at it and once you've completed the program just keep adding time to your runs. I find the first 15 mins the worst, after that it's just a case of keep on going.
Hi there, thanks for your respone: that was an honest one ;-). I am a non runner as well so we will see. Walling 18k is no prob though, strange hey?? Today run 2, I think as you say biting through the first part is the horrible thing. Even though i only suffer from overweight as in sweet lovehandles I feel like a heavy elephant. Also need to get my breathing regulated. Onceci am onto the 5k I will ask the three men here to work me out with interval training as to increase my stimina and not only my endurance. Pffffff. Thanxs for being honest
Missbossie

Post by Missbossie »

Jbutler wrote:My first "5k" was an obstacle course. I walked almost the whole thing because it was on a ski mountain and my partner was horribly out of shape. It was a lot of fun though, good luck!
Thanks for your response! That must be the most important thing: FUN more than achievement. But getting to the finish is still what i would like. We will see