Get Running + RunKeeper = Awesome! (and some advice)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Timl2k10

Get Running + RunKeeper = Awesome! (and some advice)

Post by Timl2k10 »

I have had Get Running for a long time, I don't remember how things went the first time around, but I know that the whole multi-tasking thing wasn't quite ready for prime-time, also I didn't know of RunKeeper. I'm only on W1R2, but wow, the feedback I get from my run from RunKeeper is a huge motivator. It's awesome to have Get Running cue me and RunKeeper keep track of exactly how I did pace wise and so forth. I can see that I'm probably not running too fast, a little over 5 mph. That is good to know because I see a lot of people complaining about how hard such and such run was compared to last weeks run as well as about various pains and -- based on my own experience (I'm a lifetime on and off runner, mostly because it gets so hot and humid in the Florida summer and I hate treadmills) -- I am pretty sure they are just running too fast. I usually suffer from shin splints on my first run -- because I'm running too fast. I probably look like a turtle when I'm running, but I think that's why my first two runs have felt so good. I will be looking forward to RunKeeper showing my progress as my distance increases, and if I get to week 9 or sooner if I feel I'm ready I can work on getting my pace up to a more acceptable level.
It's easy to get overly enthusiastic and want to run at an intermediate or advanced level pace, my advice is keep it slow, a beginner pace, around 5 to 5.5 mph -- between 11:00 and 12:00 min/mile (or even slower is fine, there is no such thing as too slow when you are starting out), that might seem like a snails pace, but your body will thank you for it! You can work on increasing your pace after Week 9, and if you still want more to do after, just add a minute each run until you are doing 10K. That can be done in just about 8 weeks or so.
Sorelegz

Re: Get Running + RunKeeper = Awesome! (and some advice)

Post by Sorelegz »

Sounds like good advise to me, I want to do 8 minute miles over 3 miles but at the moment will just be happy to do 3 miles in half an hour eg 10 minutes a mile.
By the way keep up the good work :D .
Hostiemostie

Post by Hostiemostie »

Hi Timl2k10,

I've taken your advice and downloaded the run keeper app (I'm yet to use it) but it looks quite advanced as I'm only just about to start W4.

Can you give me a few tips on the best way to use it (ie, the audio cues, play lists, runkeeper live, etc).

Thanks and kind Rgds.
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Hostiemostie wrote:Hi Timl2k10,

I've taken your advice and downloaded the run keeper app (I'm yet to use it) but it looks quite advanced as I'm only just about to start W4.

Can you give me a few tips on the best way to use it (ie, the audio cues, play lists, runkeeper live, etc).

Thanks and kind Rgds.
I just turn off all the audio cues, I think they can interfere with Get Running. You have to pay for RunKeeper Live so I don't use that. For music, you can just use the built-in iPod player. Once you've recorded a run, login to RunKeeper website to see an interactive map of your route and a graph of your pace for each interval. Overtime you will see you distance per run progress since you are spending more time running. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. I also connect RunKeeper to a free app called Withings which aggregates all my health data, exercise, weight, blood pressure, etc.

Edit-- P.S. yes it does have a lot I bells and whistles, they aren't necessary for the basic functionality if recording a run. You can ignore the advanced features for now. All you need to do is tell it your activity is running, and start it when you begin and stop it whe you finish. I do not use routes, intervals training plans, etc. I also do not plan to upgrade to RunKeeper Elite. I see no need for it. The nice thing about RunKeeper is it keeps track on your personal bests and lets you know when you've set a new personal record via email. Very motivational.
Missbossie

Post by Missbossie »

Thanks, this blog is exactly what somebody needed to tell me:DO NOT RUn TOO FAST!!!
W3 is going fine but I am a bit stiff in my leg muscles. I start off like a snail/turtle / elephant and do my complete time of 3 minutes. Only the last three minutes because I have some breath and energy left I push myself to pick up some speed.
Strange is it that we all seem to think we have to be able to fly like a marathon runner, seem to need to do something superspecial, while just moving for the time interval is enough. Thanks for quieting me down again ;-)
I will get Runkeeper and convince myself I am running just fine, the 5K , I will get there, no hurry.
NicAshley

Post by NicAshley »

I love runkeeper! When I first downloaded it I wasn't sure. I made the mistake of having too many audio cues and like you say...it interfered with get running. Claire and the auto voice were in competition with each other! I very quickly leant how to turn those audio cues off! But for letting me know my distance overall and how long each km took its fantastic. So easy to compare runs now with my stats staring me in the face :) on the runs which show a nice steady pace over every km, I feel I could run and run yet looking at the odd run where I felt I set off too quick I can see I'm slowing with each km run.

I should be finishing week 9 this week but have been ill so no running for me :cry: I'm itching to get back out there. Oh well...next week...!

Happy running everyone :-)
Nic
Hostiemostie

Post by Hostiemostie »

Thanks Timl2k10, I'm glad its as straight forward as that, just running the two apps along side each other. I've got W4R1 today so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

My ideal aim is to become one of "those people" that just "pop out for a run", and hopefully if and when that time comes is when I'll be able to use run keeper to its full potential.

Thanks for the advice and happy running.
Missbossie

Post by Missbossie »

Hi, first try with Runkeeper today W3R3. I didn't check all the settings carefully enough so had two ladies talking into my ears , haha, at the same time!! Anyway I got it all set now and noticed my running is easy to check with these each minute result diagram !! When I run I go approx 5,4 mph so I think that's fine. Also the distance suprised me: when you know your surroundings it never seems as far as when everything around you is new. Nice app, now see if I improve
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Missbossie wrote:Hi, first try with Runkeeper today W3R3. I didn't check all the settings carefully enough so had two ladies talking into my ears , haha, at the same time!! Anyway I got it all set now and noticed my running is easy to check with these each minute result diagram !! When I run I go approx 5,4 mph so I think that's fine. Also the distance suprised me: when you know your surroundings it never seems as far as when everything around you is new. Nice app, now see if I improve
If you login to the RunKeeper website you will get an even more detailed account of your run. You can see any elevation gain and you can mouseover your route on the map and it shows you how fast you were running at that point using a graph of time vs. pace below the map. You can also do vice versa, like if you see a fast interval, you can mouseover it and it will show you where you were on your route at the time. Pretty slick! (None of this has to do with RunKeeper elite which you have to pay a monthly subscription for, it is free as part of the program).
Playswithfire

Post by Playswithfire »

I love Runkeeper! I love getting updates telling me I made a new PR! And to be able to see how far I went and how fast is just wonderful!!