A scared smoker

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
reetbomb

A scared smoker

Post by reetbomb »

Hi all,

Downloaded the app about 6 months ago and have looked at the first run ever since. I am petrified its going to be awful as I smoke. I am a healthy weight, but have not done exercise for quite sometime so my fitness must be atrocious. Has anyone been in a situation like this? And could tell me when to expect? Really want to get going with it!

Thanks!
Digbycat

Re: A scared smoker

Post by Digbycat »

Honestly the hardest part is getting out the front door. And if on day 1 you only manage 2 of the runs - who cares, you got out there and got started. It took me 6 weeks to reach week 2 (I have the over weight issue rather than the smoking issue.) and two weeks ago I finished week 9.

It's not a race its all about little baby steps to reach an end goal.

Go for it and have fun

X
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

When I started two weeks ago, it was on a whim. It was. 5 am in the morning and couldn't sleep because for some reason I was feeling like I could run a marathon. So I do the next best thing and started Get Running.
I do not smoke, but I am terribly out if shape, very sedentary. I mowed the lawn with a self-propelled mower and I think I maxed out my heart rate. I'm 40 pounds overweight, had been diagnosed with hypertension (though I think I have that under control). I was surprised how easy it was, but then again I have a lot of experience over my lifetime running, and knew the key to an easy run was a slow pace and making sure I ran slow enough to not run out of breath.
I would suggest a few brisk 30 minute walks before you start the program just to get a feel for how exercise feels for you, then gently start the program. Take a slow jog, one very good test to make sure you are not overexerting yourself is to see if you can carry on a conversation. This may mean you have to talk out loud to yourself, another option is to sing along to whatever song you may be listening too. You should be able to do either without gasping for breath. Good luck! And come back if it doesn't go well, we can help!
Hostiemostie

Post by Hostiemostie »

Hi reetbomb,

I'm a smoker too (not 20 a day I must admit), but I can assure you your body will be able to cope. On the occasions when my lungs have felt tight (even the non smokers get that when starting exercise) I just slow my pace and breathe deeply, controlling it more so rather than heavily panting.

Don't push yourself, trust the programme, you'll surprise yourself.

Good luck!!