New and desperately unfit hello and diary :)

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Cazrich42

Re: New and desperately unfit hello and diary :)

Post by Cazrich42 »

Yayy us indeed :D
I use the JVC hook over earphones for the same reason, love the loud tunes to drown out the huffing and puffing, and I just tuck the phone in my bra for easy access - I'm sure it's not recommended but it works!!
Wow, you are a busy girl with 6, well 5 to look after, I appreciate it's a logistical nightmare getting out of the door, so you deserve a medal for that! I have one at uni (year 2) and one a year older who is in Australia, so we have gone from a house of life and fun to Derby and Joan, and the eldest is only 21!!!
I am doing this as a challenge to myself, I have a goal to run in a 'mudrun' next October, which is booked, and I need to lose stones :(
Do you have an ultimate goal?
Good luck and keep posting :)
LinP

Post by LinP »

Ah wow all that peace and quiet! And clean bathrooms :)

Australia too! Does that mean you can get a cheap holiday out there? You must miss them. My oldest is year one and only an hour away. Today sprog 2 and I went to see him for lunch! Sprog two is planning on going half way across the country so I won't be able to do that. Kids eh.

I'm doing this as a challenge too. My hubby said if I'm still doing this in 4 weeks he'll... Then he couldn't think of anything and realised it wasn't very supportive so changed that to 'buy you something' haha! Probably something stupid lol.

It's for me though. I don't have a goal as such but I would be on cloud nine to think I could actually run one of those charity 5k's! I guess that would be a bit of a dream. Just to run it, regardless of time.

Did W1R3 this morning. It was hard but fine. Actually I think it was my lungs that were my weakest part rather than my legs. I was grinning as I walked back to the car.

I'm due to do W2R1 on Friday. I wanted the weeks to go mon wed and fri but I had the opportunity to start on Saturday so I did and it means I will start a new week after only one rest day and not two.

Am I being picky? Lol. I am nervous about even this jump so what will I be like later on.. Giving this my all though.

How did you find the jump from W1to W2 Caz? X
Cazrich42

Post by Cazrich42 »

To think you are where you are now with week 1 ticked off the list is fantastic, well done. Think where you were this time last week with much trepidation about even starting :) Just wait til the kids and other half are there cheering you in your 5k race... :lol:
Week 2.....yes.... it seems quite a bit harder, but when the commentary tells you there are only 6 runs and counts them down , you know you can get to the end.
I am however nervous of week 3 as 30 seconds extra seems like a lot. But I do know from experience that there are advantages for keeping on going rather than gong back to a walk as you get your breathing into a rhythm and your muscles seem to warm up somehow.
Not sure what part of the country you're in, I'm in Warwickshire, and so far the weather has been quite kind. I had a poor nights sleep last night and when the 5.45am alarm went off I had a mental battle to persuade myself to get out of bed! Most of me wanted to stay there :twisted:
I can imagine if the weather was blowing a gale and raining my bad side would have won! However having you to compare notes with, and the challenge to myself, means I got my ass out of bed and did it.
Your turn next :))
LinP

Post by LinP »

You're a better woman than me! I'm not sure i could get shifted at that time of day. Even in great weather.

I'm in Kent so the weather is getting nippy but not horrendous.
Yes, that extra 30 seconds is scary but you're right, last week I didn't think if manage this first week.

Who knows :)

And yes having you to report to is helping a LOT.

X
LinP

Post by LinP »

Well that was W2R1 done.

I don't like saying this because ill probably have a massive crisis soon and really struggle but this morning wasnt desperately hard. I really do see what you mean about keeping on running being easier in some ways. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to do much more than I did but I can feel that in only one week I am fitter already. My jog is a slow one (very!) but my lungs didnt feel like they were bursting and my legs just felt like they were ok. Not screaming and it wasnt easy but they were ok.

Then I got back to the car and I usually just stretch out the large muscles at the front of my legs by chucking my ankle up behind me and pulling it forward you know? Well I threw my left ankle up really quick and pulled something at the back of my leg up below my bum. Walked around for 5 minutes and its ok now I think. I forgot to stop my running app that measures speed and distance so wrecked that today lol.

Anyway. Onwards and upwards. Did you run today Caz? Hope alls well hun x
Cazrich42

Post by Cazrich42 »

Hi, just a quick check in. Should have done wk2 r3 yesterday morning but failed to get up. I had been awake from 1.30am until 5 ish .....oh how it hurt when the alarm went off at 6 :( And this morning I have to leave any minute to take students to an exhibition!!!
Planning to do it when I get back because I want to start w3 on Monday. M,W and Friday suits me great.
You are doing very well , it's good that you are feeling fitter already. |I don't feel that yet at is it all still a hard slog.
Good luck and keep going ;0
LinP

Post by LinP »

Maybe I'm just feeling better because I'm so glad I'm doing it and accomplishing something physical that I never thought I could which is making me feel better. I don't know. Probably just excitement in my case. I don't blame you for missing that run. If you had got up you'd have felt terrible and probably hated the run and that does your willpower and confidence no good at all. I. Think you're a legend. Running so early before you go to work.

Hope it's going well with your students and they leave you with some energy for later on. X
Cazrich42

Post by Cazrich42 »

Pretty much failed this weekend. Still needing to do Wk2 r3!!
It will be in the morning now. Hey ho - as long as I do it.
We went for a celebratory meal out yesterday and the celebrations continued!!
Definitely going in the morning. Hows about you, you have probably overtaken me now and can tell me what to expect?!
LinP

Post by LinP »

Hey hun!

No I haven't overtaken you at all. I did W2R2 today. It was ok. I was tired at first but once I got into it I felt better. It was tiring but when I looked at run keeper afterwards I'd been faster so that's maybe why. I walked faster I think. My jog is a slow one lol.

Glad you had fun! Life is about that too and it's definitely for living so I'm glad you grabbed it. I never turn down a chance to party.

Let me know how W2R3 goes! Ill be doing that on Wednesday :) x
Cazrich42

Post by Cazrich42 »

Well that was a surprise!!!.......turfed myself out in the rain hoping for the run not to feel too hard after my gap and the lady told me I was on Week 3 !! I thought 'well I'm here might as well do it' .....and did it :))
The first long run was tough because it's all uphill, but I kept going. The second one was easy-ish, as it was flat!!
I still got that cramping feeling in my muscles but it walks off at the end.
I do feel better again now for having done it.
Hope your run goes well tomorrow and the weather is kind to you x