Know I will love it when out running, but struggling to go!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
mljordaa

Know I will love it when out running, but struggling to go!

Post by mljordaa »

Run nr 4.... Lacking motivation!
flyboy

Re: Know I will love it when out running, but struggling to

Post by flyboy »

Hi Mijordaa.

I have always been skeptical about the use of the term "motivation", because motivation should be self-evident. If I asked you to list reasons why you want to run, I am sure you could provide me with a list of 50 compelling reasons. That right there would be your motivation.

So you need to ask yourself what your main hang-ups are, and how you can get around them. It isn't easy, I know. For what it's worth, I struggled to get running for 10 years. I entertained the idea for all that time, tried starting on several occasions, but rarely made it past the first or second week. But this time I knew I stood a better chance because of the nature of the Get Running app - having somebody tell me what to do felt like having a coach and some company, and that I wasn't totally reliant on myself. I also said to myself that I would give over 12 weeks of my life to trying this once and for all; if I hated it by the end, then I could give up the running dream in good conscience knowing I'd given my best, but if I loved it then I would obviously want to continue.

"Commitment" is a word I heard so many times over the past 10 years. I got the concept, but I never really 'felt' it. Now I understand it completely. So examine your hang-ups, figure out how you can get in three running sessions a week as painlessly as possible, and then make a commitment for three months to get it done. There is really no other way around it. If you still feel it tough to get out of the door having thought through your issues, then maybe the time just isn't right for you - but that day will come!