I'll be a runner again!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NeroShrimp

I'll be a runner again!

Post by NeroShrimp »

Hi All,

I previously used the Get Running app and loved it - it seemed like in no time I was running for the solid 30 minutes, what a feeling! Then a medical problem struck and I had to stop. I gained over a stone in weight and have become pretty unfit :? My medical problem has now been sorted and I feel ready for change. I'm itching to get back into running! So, I'm about to go for my first run in a LONG time - I'm actually going to skip ahead to week 3 run 2, as I know that I can handle starting from there. I can't wait! My plan is to go through the course on my treadmill, and then start outside once I can do the full 30 minutes. I know that running on a treadmill is easier than running outside, so by transitioning to outdoor runs later I can keep on improving. I would eventually like to run a 5k race!

This forum is really motivating - reading other people's posts inspires me, so thanks! I'll see you back here later...
NeroShrimp

Re: I'll be a runner again!

Post by NeroShrimp »

Just finished stretching after my run - that was fantastic! Week 3 run 2 completed :D I definitely recommend the Get Running app for anyone that wants to start running, without the hassle of timing your run - walk intervals. This app does it for you perfectly, and being able to play your own music in-app is a big motivation boost. I'm really looking forward to my next run - Thursday the 3rd! It feels so good to be DOING something again.

Does anybody have any tips on motivating yourself while you run? I don't have a problem at the minute, but it'll be good to arm myself with tips for any future up and downs!
flyboy

Re: I'll be a runner again!

Post by flyboy »

Hey Neroshrimp.

The only tip I have for motivating yourself while you run is to try a bunch of things and see what works for you! I remember going through three phases while I was doing the app.

Phase one: all I did was listen to the app. The runs might have been short, but I was so unfit that I felt like I couldn't relax. I was focusing on every step I made.

Phase two: this was maybe week two. I had gotten into the groove of running - the body was adjusting, slipping on the trainers and going out at night wasn't feeling so weird. The runs were getting longer, I was feeling more comfortable about the process, so I wanted something to make the time go by easier. I started downloading BBC podcasts and would listen to one when I would run. Panel shows in particular would last around 20 - 25 minutes, which would cover the entire run, and it was nice to feel like I had company in my ear.

Phase three: this was around week eight. It had gotten to the point where I was regularly running for 20 - 30 minutes without any walking breaks. At this point, the podcasts felt a bit too slow for me as I tried to maintain my pace for a long duration of time. So I found that putting on cheesy songs (like the Rocky soundtrack) really, really helped me find that extra level.

So you know, whatever works for you. Don't be boxed into thinking that there is only one way. Your tastes and needs may adapt.