My first run and Nike plus

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Joanne9071

My first run and Nike plus

Post by Joanne9071 »

Hello everyone,
Have just done my very first run!
Being a 38 year old smoker who has not exercised for 15 years I am dead Proud of myself.
I never thought I could even run for 30 seconds let alone a minute, but did, ha!! And 8 times. Yay.
I was wondering if this app supports the use of Nike plus before I go out and buy one?
Thanks
Jo xx
benjohn

Re: My first run and Nike plus

Post by benjohn »

It should do, although I have heard a few reports of problems, so I can't be completely certain! Tell you what, if it doesn't work, I'll buy the Nike+ off you :-) How's that?
Joanne9071

Post by Joanne9071 »

Deal! Am going to buy one tomorrow
Jilli25

Post by Jilli25 »

I am just about to start week 3. I have found you need to start the Nike + program and then you can get this app to work, I have it is really encouraging and even on the rest days I am going out for fast walks. Good luck and I hope you get the Nike + to work as well.
Joanne9071

Post by Joanne9071 »

Well done on getting to week 3 :D Got up early to do week1 run 2 today.
Went well. Knackered now though.
Did get Nikeplus to work, sort of.
can't get it to calibrate on a run yet though.
Will try again on Wednesday.
Jilli25

Post by Jilli25 »

It does get better keep going! I have yet to calibrate the Nike + on a run but it seems pretty accurate for walking, I think it will be the dreaded week 5 20 min run before I can calibrate the run setting. Good luck with the rest of w1. I will let you know tomorrow how w3r1 goes
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Joanne9071,

:-) Glad you went ahead. Perhaps try to calibrate it on it's own, and once you've got it happy, then start using it with Get Running?

Did it work otherwise though (other than the not working :-)?

Did you have any trouble with music, or Get Running's coaching?

Cheers,
Benjohn
Joanne9071

Post by Joanne9071 »

Hi Ben,
Get running and music worked fine. The Nike plus only recorded that I had run 0.10 km and burnt 9 calories, although the timer said my workout had lasted 22 mins. So not sure why it said that.
I did however store my iPod in an ingenious place whilst running as I have no pockets or an armband yet :lol:
So not sure if that had anything to do with it, although get running worked perfectly.
Jo
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

:-) Very creative! "Necessity is the mother of invention", they say.
ab7167

Post by ab7167 »

I use runkeeper free version rather than Nike + and it works brilliantly, just set it going before you start getrunning. And the music will run. So order is start music, start runkeeper, start getrunning. I'm on wk6r1 and it has never failed me. But do remember to turn of runkeeper before you go into the house out of GPS signal :-)