All done

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Runner08

All done

Post by Runner08 »

Im just home from my final run of week 9 covering 4.2k in the 30 mins.
As with many who start the program i struggled with the 1 minute runs of week 1 and honestly didn't expect to finish the program, or at least not in the 9 weeks, however i needn't have worried because the program realy does work, And i know its a bit of a cliche around here but IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN.

I started this program as a 40 year old male weighing in at 304lbs, which is about double what i should weigh at 5,11" tall. im finishing today weighing 268lbs

Carying in excess of 10 stone in extra weight hasn't been easy but will get easier i expect as the weight comes off.

Moving forward i plan to keep running on alternate days, ill keep going for 30 minutes until my pace increases so im covering the target 5k in 30 mins.i will then start to increase my time by adding the total run times from the get running app onto the end of my 30 min runs, adding 8 mins for week 1, 9 mins for week 2 etc but just adding the total running time on rather than doing the intervals. Ill aim at following the 9 week shedule but im happy to take longer if need be.

amyway i hope everyone out their makes it to the finish line and beyond. And thanks to allposters ive found so mich knowlwdge advice and inspiration on here.
matt

Re: All done

Post by matt »

Brilliant! Well done!

One thing -- be careful when you build up your pace. Pace can be tricky to increase, and you don't want to injure yourself pushing too hard on that limit. Just as with the walking/running of the initial C25K, you might want to consider interval training to improve your pace -- not necessarily alternating walking with running, but perhaps alternating faster running and slower running to recover. I hear that works pretty well.

I am not a doctor, etc. etc...

Cheers,

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Runner08

Post by Runner08 »

Thanks Matt,
Ill have a look into intervals for increasing pace, i was planning on just getting out there and seeing what happens naturally over time, but some kind of training plan will probably be a better use of my time.
Kathyg928

Post by Kathyg928 »

Wow that is amazing - you should be so proud!! Your post has made me feel like I might actually be able to finish the program. I just started it today and thought how hard it is.

Keep it up and thanks!
Runner08

Post by Runner08 »

Im sure you will do it, just be determined to do whatever is needed to get through, listen to your body, slow down if you need to and you will be fine. It does get easier.
Sugar11

Post by Sugar11 »

Amazing! I'm only on week 2 and honestly can't imagine that I'll ever be able to run for 1 minute - honestly I feel so unfit. You have inspired me. Congratulations!
Runner08

Post by Runner08 »

Its my one month anniversary since graduating the program and ive been out for my 30 minute runs every other day without fail. A few of the runs have been full 5k and ive got that time down to 35 minutes from a previous best of 40. Ive just noticed this last week or so that all though im glad to stop when ive reached my time/distance. Im not realy out of breath much at all.
This last week has been particularly tough though as i started to do some kettlebell exercises on my non running days, my bum and thighs were so sore the next day when i got up for my run i realy didnt think i would manage the 30 minutes, it was hellish but i did it.

The weight loss has been going great im down to 251 lbs.

I hope everyone is doing well with the program, im glad to be an inspiration i know it's hard, but as a graduate i know its worth it, i personally cant remember ever feeling as good & healthy as i do now. I would have never thought i could run and actually enjoy it and even look forward to it. Doing the running program has led to so many positive changes in my life that i feel like a totally different person living a totally different life.
Young endeavour

Post by Young endeavour »

That's great that you are still running. I'm two runs away from being a graduate so hope to complete the program this week. I must admit that I don't feel the running as hard anymore. I was struggling in week 7 to get through 25mins but now the time seems to fly by. I've enjoyed the program so much that I'm considering do the bridge to 10km app now.

Congrats again!
Runner08

Post by Runner08 »

Another month gone and again ive been out every other day without fail, only this month i did things a little differently. i ran the full 5k on weekdays then ran for 6k on my weekend runs, this went realy well. so for this comming month I've upped things again, running 6k on weekdays and 7k on my weekend runs. I've just completed the first week and dragged myself out of bed at 6:30 this morning to do my first 7k wich i found no harder than the 6k ive been doing.

Anyway i hope your all getting out there and making progress with the program or your next steps.
Sugar11

Post by Sugar11 »

Wow! I'm so inspired by you, well done! I've got the big. 2-0 run on Tuesday and can't believe I've got this far. I hit the wall a few times and almost gave up but didn't. I really hope, like you I graduate. Thanks for sharing.