Tracking Distance & Pace

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
brista

Tracking Distance & Pace

Post by brista »

I've tried a couple other C25K apps and never stuck with it...pre-smartphone, I used an index card on the treadmill! But I never stuck with any of them past a week...until now! I just finished week 3 day 1. Running is starting to suck a little tiny teeny bit less! (Still kinda sucks though. :D )

I've been using Map My Run app because I like knowing my pace and I really really like when it tells me when I've hit the mile mark. Unfortunately it has been dropping my GPS the past few times (for no reason, since my Spotify stays connected to the network) so I need a new app! Suggestions? I'm looking for free, since I figure I should at least stick with this running thing for a couple months before I start investing anything more into it.

Ideally, the Get Running app already has this feature but I haven't found it yet...okay, probably not the case, but definitely would make me a happy camper!
Young endeavour

Re: Tracking Distance & Pace

Post by Young endeavour »

You can try runkeeper - I'm pretty sure it's free! Good luck
Hopeful runner

Post by Hopeful runner »

I use the free runtastic app. It's great because it automatically adds your calories burnt to the my fitness pal app. I love it! As an added bonus I learned I'm running much further than I thought I was! It tracks distance, speed, and keeps a detailed history.
Trialrunner

Post by Trialrunner »

Hi Barista, I have used mapmyrun in the past and had the same issues! So I switched to Runtastic and it's brilliant. It does everything that mapmyrun does and more. It's free and widely available. Also I switched to metric distance (kilometers) as you get those motivational updates more frequently! You can also track and share runs with others using the app.
Good luck, keep running!
Gareth.
Mahnster1

Post by Mahnster1 »

I use runkeeper. I start pandora first (for the music), runkeeper as I start walking, then get running 15 sec later so the runkeeper voice doesn't interfere with the get running app voice.