Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
achtung

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by achtung »

Hello everyone,

My name is Frank and I've started using the Get Running app yesterday and completed Week1 Run1 so far. Previously I've been doing the elliptical machine 25-40min 4-5x per week so I have some good cardio background. Prior to finding the app, I began running in small spurts, about 2 4 min 5.5mph running sessions, one day I surprised myself, found energy and was able to do 10 min straight no stops on treadmill. The day before the app, I was able to run for 4 min straight around the local elementary school near my house and then another 4 minutes home so week 1 run 1 wasn't so bad as for someone starting from scratch.
Thanks to the elliptical machine i've dropped nearly 30lbs in 6 months and hope that running will further me in my weight loss plan, looking to drop another 30lbs by the holidays!

I look forward to the next run!
Speedilyme

Post by Speedilyme »

Hi all,
I am a 35 year old mom of a two year old. I am in Florida and starting tomorrow. I am a high school teacher with a busy schedule. Looking forward to getting to know you soon!
Shelly g

Post by Shelly g »

Hello all
I just started. Just finished week one run one
Started strength training a couple of months ago and
Now I am trying to get cardio in
I quite like the prompts on this app
They are so much better than the other apps I have tried
I am looking to take off 65 pounds. - put on over the last few difficult years that
I am happy to say are behind me
I'd love to run a 5 k before the end of this year. Looking forward to the support these boards offer
Cheers!
Girlontherun

Post by Girlontherun »

Hello everyone I am in the USA, and looking to get healthy. I had started get running back in late august and have been enjoying using this app to start running and to reach my goal on being in good health for an 48 year old. I am in my 8th week and running for 28 mins and I must say that I feel great after my runs and I sleep well it night. I am constantly seeking advice on the proper nutrition for runners if you have any helpful tips please feel free to share them. Thanks and hope to hear from you guys soon
Girlontherun
LaughingGravy

Post by LaughingGravy »

Howdo, I'm Chris, almost 43, from the wilds of north Bedfordshire.

I've tried running before, and have always found it very painful on my lower legs, particularly the shin muscles and tendons. As a result I've always given up very quickly. After my first C25K outing on Sunday I can confirm things haven't changed this time around! :?

Cardiovascular wise I'm in reasonable shape as I cycle quite a bit, and also do Kendo - it's the latter that is motivating me to try to run again, i'm hoping to both get a little more mobile on my feet and improve my endurance.

Anyway, Sunday's run was kind of a 'day zero', a pre-start to the program if you like - I need to fit the running in around my kendo sessions (mondays and thursdays), so was thinking I'd run wednesday, friday and sunday, with my rest day on tuesday, so sunday was technically the end of my 'week', even though it was my first session, if you see what I mean. Or not. :roll:

Lower legs have been hurting like hell, and really let me know about it last night at kendo - fortunately we were helping new starters, so at least nothing TOO strenuous. Hoping that a) they'll ease off in time for my next scheduled run and b) they'll hurt less next time, and for a shorter period. If they're still bad by tomorrow night, then I'll leave it another couple of days - Thursday kendo is generally a lot more intense, and I don't want to mess that up for myself!
bitslap

Post by bitslap »

Hello everyone,

I'm Leo and I live in Houston, TX. I really want to start running and plan to very soon. I'm also trying to go raw vegan so this might be interesting. LOL!

I'm 39 and need to make some serious changes in my life. I'm hoping this will be a strong start for me.

C25K program is on the droid and ready to rip! Wish me luck.
Gvonn

Post by Gvonn »

Hi! My name is Gabi and I am super-new to running (as in have never done it before!) I just purchased the Get Running App and am going to do my first run today. I'm pretty excited and hope I can do this! Also I am signed up for my first 5K in May. Yikes! :)
SusuAged

Post by SusuAged »

Hi, I am Susan and purchased the Get running app last night and this morning finished my first outside run. I love it!! :D I have been walk/jogging on my treadmill and broke it. Recently lost 20 lbs and wanted to try running for a long time but didn't think I could. It looks like I am going to love running outside. Keep you posted.
BeastModeON

Post by BeastModeON »

Hi everyone !

I always hated running. When i had to run in school or other, i was always in the few last to reach the goal and with lot of pain/difficulty to breathe, even if i was doing a good load of sports including ice-hockey at a good level during my youth, running was a pain in the ***... i was always breathing my *** out after 10-15minutes of running...

Now I'm 32yo and last 2 years i went from 260lbs to my actual 216lbs for my 6.1" height with a good diet plan on the long run (i want to reach 198lbs). last, 4 months i did 3x/week some aerobic training and with some 3-4 miles brisk walk with my dog. Still i didn't even think about running because I've always been really bad and feeling completely not made for running...and i've always HATED running...

Until now ! I feel i can do it...so "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!" I start looking around for a good way to start it. and here I am :) it seems perfect to me !

So I did my first run yesterday, Week 1 run 1. I planned it for 5 days, and obviously it rained that day ! but no excuses. It feels good, as i was able to complete it without difficulty. I just felt a little global pain on my shinebones on every hit of my feet, but i guess it's because I'm not use to running...I have to see how it evolves...

I even thought this first week run was easy for me...running 1 minute at a time is easily doable for me. I think it's better this way because now I feel rewarded and ready for the next challenges. i take this first week to concentrate on my breathing, pace, and position, to start running correctly, and I'm sure it was a huge part of my problems with running when i was young (too fast, with bad positionning, bad breathing...)

Good luck to everyone starting the program ! keep running and moving yourself ! and remember, the only person you need to beat, is your-yesterday-self !

BeastModeON :-)
clio

Post by clio »

New here! :D
Completed get running last year think its time to do it again now! I'm seventeen from Ireland! :)