How much water should I be drinking whilst running?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Runfatgirlrun

How much water should I be drinking whilst running?

Post by Runfatgirlrun »

I find it hard to carry a bottle while running! Sounds strange but I find myself concentrating on the bottle :lol: I'm on week 5 so I do get quite thirsty so I know I need my water! Also end up feeling like doing a 'Paula Radcliffe' because I've drank water!?
Simongeorge

Re: How much water should I be drinking whilst running?

Post by Simongeorge »

Try drinking more throughout the day, a personal trainer once told me at least 2litres a day, which sounds a lot and has you feeling bloated and running to the toilet frequently for a couple of days, but as you get used to it you feel better. Drink plenty before and after, then you should only just need to keep your throat and mouth moist during the run, so just a few sips will do, meaning you only need to carry a small amount.
Runfatgirlrun

Post by Runfatgirlrun »

Interesting thank you for this. I will give it a go
starknut

Post by starknut »

I actually don't drink anything while I'm running, which is probably horrible to do, but it works for me. So I hydrate well before a run, because I don't want to have to stop and use the toilet right in the middle. Afterward, I have even more water. Even on running days, I normally drink about 32 ounces, sometimes more depending on how thirsty I am. Just drink when you're thirsty, and you'll be fine: your body will let you know how much you should be taking in!
Catherine31350

Post by Catherine31350 »

Hi, I find I can't run without water, just feel the need to drink as my mouth gets very dry. I too don't like anything in my hands so I use a type of bum bag which has a bottle holder. It has a piece of elastic that slips easily over the bottle to hold it in place. I find positioning it so the bottle is virtually on my side stops it bouncing around and I don't even notice it. Very handy too for keys and the all important iphone!
Runfatgirlrun

Post by Runfatgirlrun »

Ooo not heard of them. That sounds ideal. Thanks for that