W1R2 - SHINS!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Jonny Run Lately

W1R2 - SHINS!!

Post by Jonny Run Lately »

Hi all

On my second rest day, having completed W1R2 yesterday. All going fine, bar a few aches and pains. Stretching after exercise really helps with the pains in the thighs and calves, but my shins are really aching.

I read somewhere that shin pains could be down to poor technique, bad shoes or maybe even a combination of the two. Or could it be that, having just started getting back into exercise after a long period without it, my shins happen to be suffering, but will get better as I toughen up?

I think my shoes are OK - very comfortable to run in, although I didn't get them fitted and they are pretty old.

I'm sure I could improve my technique - I dread to think what I look like when running - but my shins don't actually hurt when I'm running. Just now while I recover.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Jonny
bex17

Re: W1R2 - SHINS!!

Post by bex17 »

Apparently running shoes are only good for so many miles so go careful. My shin splints were because of my running shoes and are all ok now. Good luck :D
Chrissyteacup

Post by Chrissyteacup »

1st week I had shin pain since getting my running gait assessed & new running shoes have deffo improved them! Hope you get to the bottom of what's causing yours.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I highly recommend getting fit for new running shoes. Go to a running store. I used to suffer from shin pain and had no idea that there shoes that could actually help me, I have flat feet and once I got the right shoes for my feet, no more shin pain. Also, shoes can only go for so many miles before they need to be replaced. My personal favorite are asics!
Jonny Run Lately

Thanks for all the advice. Might just treat myself to a new pair of shoes.*

:D

*That sounded eerily like my wife...
Jonny Run Lately

Now onto W2R2 with a brand new pair of shoes, fitted at a running store. Obscenely comfortable for my feet, and my shins feel a little better, but still getting some pains.

The guy in the shop was really helpful, and said that shin pains are not uncommon in new runners, even with new, properly fitted shoes. He said that my legs and body will adjust to the additional demands, but in the meantime, slow down the pace, try to shorten my stride and not bring my feet up too high (to lessen the impact) and to make sure I stretch properly after running. He also - delicately - pointed out that, as I lose weight, the pain should decrease as the shins will be taking less of a battering! I don't mind admitting I need to shift a bit of cake - if I was in my prime I wouldn't be running C25K! :D But this did amuse me.

So, I'm hopeful that these pains will get better over time. I'm finding that I'm getting my breath back very quickly in between runs now, and I'm raring to go when "Fiona" says it's time to run. Also, I'm not struggling for breath when the run comes to an end, just breathing a little more heavily than usual. Legs are fine, only a couple of aches and pains the following day.

Just need these shins to get with the programme! :D

All the best

Jonny
Chrissyteacup

Post by Chrissyteacup »

Glad to hear your shins are feeling better and I agree my fitted running shoes are like (what I imagine it would feel like) running/ walking on marshmallows there so squishy!