Week 9 Run 1 DONE! Little happy happy dance

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lauraeliza30

Week 9 Run 1 DONE! Little happy happy dance

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Wow, two first for me today. The first being I ran for 30 minutes AND I did it at 6:00 a.m. I ran for a continuous 30 minutes and I covered 2.10 miles with the run. Its a bummer I am not close to the 3 mile mark but who cares I ran for 30 minutes. And, it was the first time I have run at 6:00 a.m. and surprisingly I really enjoyed it. The sun was up, the air was cool, and I felt like I was the only one in the world who was awake. My only issue was that I had to dodge quite a few sprinklers! I think I might make a morning run apart of my routine at least 2 times a week. Now just to hold myself to that.

My advice to everyone just starting out. Keep going, when you think it is too hard slow your pace and push through. You will be surprised that one day all of sudden between week 8 and 9 it becomes easy. It is still HARD but not the hard that it was in the earlier weeks. The last few runs have truly been a transformation for me where I really feel like a true runner and THAT is a great place to be! I won't be doing an actual 5k until September so until then I will continue increasing my time and distance until I can get to that 5k mark. Happy Running Everyone!
Chrissyteacup

Re: Week 9 Run 1 DONE! Little happy happy dance

Post by Chrissyteacup »

Congratulations how does it feel to be on that final week? Feels a long way off for me just did w3r2 today! Can't imagine being able to run that long without a walk!
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

I thought the exact same thing in week 3. Honestly, it feels AMAZING!!!!! I have been slowly doing the week 7 through 9 runs. While I wasn't following the exact program during those weeks I was doing some sort of walking/running pattern. Mainly because it had been so hot and I was only running in the evenings and when I used the treadmill I just couldn't complete the longer runs due to being so bored!!!! So i did veer off the program, but whatever side work I was doing while not always following the set days did work. I never skipped any of the runs I just took weeks to do a complete week. In week 7 I went through a major brain meltdown where my brain kept telling me I couldn't do it. I finally overcame that and have been in the "I can do this" mental zone. I am finding that running becomes a mind game and not so much a body game!
Courtney24107

Post by Courtney24107 »

Nice job! Thats such a great accomplishment! I bet you can't wait to finish the last run and graduate :D
bex17

Post by bex17 »

It's ppl like you that make me feel that yes praps I CAN do this!!
Well done, I can't wait to get that feeling too :D
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Great job! I'm on week 6 and I'm pressing through. I find myself looking forward to the runs and almost hate skipping the day in between! I'm not fast at all but I feel so much better. Any thoughts of giving up are gone! I run in the morning or evening whichever is cooler and I plan my days around my running. I can't believe I'm doing that! I'm 49 and although I've never been a couch potato I've never been a real physical person- until now!!!! We are awesome!!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Well done, I'm doing wk8 r2 today, so I'm not far behind you in the program, however, rubbings still a chore for me, I love the refreshed, wide awake and accomplished feeling I get after, but it's making room for it in my schedule at the moment is difficult and trying to fit running inbetween showers,I hope to get a little of your positive attitude soon.
Lauraeliza30

Post by Lauraeliza30 »

Week 9 R 2 was a failure. I ran for the first 10 minutes and then I just stopped and started walking and then did a run/walk for the remainder of the 30 minutes. I'm not sure why I walked, as it wasn't so much about physically not being able to do it. It was like my brain screamed at me "I DON'T WANT TO RUN RIGHT NOW". Stupid brain!
Simongeorge

Post by Simongeorge »

Sorry to hear it didn't go so well for you today, hope your next run goes better, I start wk9 on friday, so hopefully it's only a week to 'graduation'!