Week 6 run 3 - 25min - failed

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Courtney24107

Week 6 run 3 - 25min - failed

Post by Courtney24107 »

Yep, I could do the 20 minutes with ease in week 5 but I only made it 19 minutes on this run. And to know I have to do the 25 minute run 4 times in a row, it makes me nervous. I have a feeling it's going to take longer than a week to complete.

I'm soo close to the end though and that's motivating!
Always remember ~ You CAN do it if you just DO it! Otherwise you can't do it because you won't do it and that's all there is to it :D

I can't wait to run a 5k
Simongeorge

Re: Week 6 run 3 - 25min - failed

Post by Simongeorge »

I found these runs the toughest so far, I think it's your brain partly panicking about it being all running and no walking, partly saying it's only a few minutes more than last week, but, more importantly, it's about learning the correct pace for you to make sure you go for the full time ( who cares if those pesky snails and tortoises overtake).
Jbutler

Post by Jbutler »

I found weeks 6 and 7 to be the toughest mentally. Physically I felt the earlier weeks were the hardest because I just wasn't use to running, but when I got to week 7 I just felt blah. I felt like I wasn't making the progress I would like, and was constantly fighting the urge to turn around and go home before reaching the halfway mark.

What really got me out of the funk was signing up for a 5k race/obstacle course with my cousin (who isn't in great shape either). We signed up as a duo so we have to start and finish together which eliminates the competition between us and wil make us work together to finish it. By the end of week 8 I really felt like a real runner, I was able to finish a workout and feel like I could tell someone "hey I ran 2 miles" and feel proud instead of saying "yeah I ran one minute, walked a minute and a half and did that 8 times"

Keep pushing through, if you've done 20 minutes before then you should be able to do it again. Don't be afraid to repeat a week. I did week 7 over because of missing two runs when I didn't feel well. Go at a slow comfortable pace, you can work on speed when you are able to run for a longer period.

Good luck, see you at the finish line!
Courtney24107

Post by Courtney24107 »

Thank you guys so much for your responses! I really need them. They definitely helped :) AHH I have to face the 25 minutes again in about 5 hours! I know I can do it
Courtney24107

Post by Courtney24107 »

I did it!! At the end I was running REALLY slow but I don't care :D
I just kept repeating to myself that the pain will pass, that I can do it, and that I want to be proud of this run and I did it! It really did hurt though but WOOOO!
Catherine31350

Post by Catherine31350 »

Hi I've just started wk7 and completed run 1 this morning. Everyones comments are very helpful. I use endomondo along side the get running app to track my distance and time it takes per mile and I find that helpful too as each time I run I have the figures proving that I am getting faster. This then spurs me on as well! I also have my husband though who is training for a 47mile run, maybe one day we will be!!!! At the moment I'm just astounded I can run 25mins!!!!