humbled!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
lizmizje

Re: humbled!

Post by lizmizje »

yeeeeeeeeeey, indeed, it was not easy, but we did it :mrgreen:
I am so proud, I would never have thought this possible even an hour ago! As somebody mentioned before, a good playlist can be very helpful in getting your through the runs! Just like you, I have more problems with my legs not being able to handle the running than my breathing. Somehow walking actually is even more painful than running.. ah well.. let's see how it will go on Thursday. We deserved a rest day now :D
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

how did your second run go? It went pretty well for me! The temperatures are very agreeable, which helps. Can't imagine that I'll have to run 20 minutes without breaking in only 9 days, though.. although I also didn't expect I'd be able to run this much a couple of weeks ago :-D
starknut

Post by starknut »

Lizmizje, I agree, the intervals are killer. I can state with utter certainty that once you get to the long runs, it is almost a relief. It's easier to keep going than it is to stop and start!

My second run was a bit of a disappointment. I don't know if I'm sick or just too tired, but I've been exhausted and vaguely nauseated for days, with a headache that just won't quit. It isn't enough for me to say "no, I can't run," but I definitely am flagging when I get out there. I couldn't finish the first three minute run at my usual pace of 6 mph, I had to drop down to 5 and do the runs at that speed. The final five minute run nearly did me in! I honestly didn't think I would be able to finish, so I told myself I would run to the halfway mark and see how I felt. Well, Claire told me I was halfway through and I thought "I can keep going for 30 more seconds and then I'll stop." That little mind trick got me all the way through!

How are you getting on?
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Just came back from my last run of week 4. Somehow I mainly struggle in the first 5-10 minutes. The last two intervals (3 and 5 min) went much better and I finished off with a little sprint again, which felt very good!
I'm going abroad mid next week for a couple of days, so wonder how it will be to run in much warmer wheather and also with mo height difference. Just noticed that om a week we'll have to run 20 minutes straight :shock: :shock:

Hope you are not getting sick and will feel better, very soon!
starknut

Post by starknut »

That's right, week 5 has the 20 minute run. The first time I ran C25k, I did the first two runs of the week with this awful, growing sense of dread. And the third run was just fine! There's nothing to worry about, you'll do great and so will I. :D
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Well, I will think of what you just said on Friday! As I'll be travelling abroad on Thursday, I thought it makes sense to do 2 runs before my trip and only 1 abroad, so I just went out for week 5 run 1. I think I might have started off too enthusiastically, so I ended up huffing and puffing over the last few minutes, but I did it! A new record in speed and length, so I guess I should be happy! Still dreading the 20minutes run.. especially as it will be at a location that I don't know... probably not as nice and flat as I am used to, here in the Netherlands, and also temperature wise it will be much warmer.. ah well, let's stop complaining and just see how it goes ;)
starknut

Post by starknut »

Wonderful! How was your second run? I had w5r1 today and thought it went great. My legs didn't get tired and the biggest struggle was cramping in my shin halfway through. Stopped to stretch and was fine after that. I'm looking forward to Friday, two 8 minute runs. Only two? Bring it on!
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Just came back from run two and what can I say? Having only 2 runs is really nice indeed! I noticed that I have to moderate my pace a bit in the beginning, as I always start off a bit too quickly and struggle therefore during the second half of a sprint, but it was deinitely doable! I am really dreading the next run though! 20 minutes.. No breaks.. Saw that next week will be shorter runs again?

Btw, how does a shin split feel like? Is the stretching enough to help you through it or can you just 'run it off?
Going abroad tomorrow, looking forward to doing the 20min run somewhere compeltely different. So far I've always run the same little circle, which is also nice, as you know exactly where you are and how far you still have to go :)
Good luck with the second run!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Shin splints feel like an aching along your shinbone, usually on the inside portion, but some people get them on the outside part as well. Normally, I don't notice it until I'm sitting cross legged wrong - putting pressure on it makes it hurt a LOT. Coming down stairs makes me feel it, too, just how I put all my weight on the stepping leg aggravates the pain. The first several minutes of running are bad, but after that, it eases up considerably and I feel pretty comfortable. Stretching does help, I notice that generally I'm more comfortable on the stairs after I've done the stretches and exercises for my shins. Increasing my pace and/or distance will really aggravate the pain, so starting a new week tends to be uncomfortable, but it mellows out as I build strength and endurance. I had been running comfortably for months before I restarted C25k, so I was pretty bummed when the pain came back.
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Sorry to hear about the shin splits, hope they'll go away, soon. How come you restarted C25k?