Week 5, Run 3

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
jackdamery

Week 5, Run 3

Post by jackdamery »

I smashed out this run yesterday. I needed to get to the bank in Leeds city centre before they closed at 4:30PM. I left the house at 4:00PM, walked briskly up to the park, then started my run. I went through the park, out the other sides to the back streets leading into the city, including running through the University. I think feeling self-conscious about running through these areas full of people at such a busy time of day made me run faster.

After about 13 minutes, I could take no more, I had to stop. I walked for a bit to check where I was. I realised I'd run way off course and at 4:24PM I was still quite far from the bank. I went into all out mode and smashed a birds-eye run straight toward Albion Street, running on the road to avoid being slowed down by pedestrians. I was running much faster than I would usually.

It was 4:28PM and I was just nearing the end of the street. My legs were tired and I had to sprint uphill. Dodging these idle pedestrians made it so much harder. I felt like the ship in asteroids, skidding a path between these slow moving blocks. I didn't care, adrenaline had kicked in. I had tunnel vision. Now the bank was in sight, I knew I only had to give it another 10 seconds. I'm running on reserves, my stomach feels like its been punched. I threw myself through the door.

Checking my watch, it was 4:29PM. I'd made it! YES! It was that beautiful feeling of sweaty exhaustion, where you are regaining your breath and your heart is pumping out of your chest. You don't care what anyone thinks, if they get in your way, you'll just run around them.

Walking up to the counter, the lady said "Looks like you rushed here today, you should get a card so you can use the ATMs."

OK, so I didn't make the 20 minutes. But I put in 100% percent effort and now my legs hurt.
Last edited by jackdamery on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not a runner-yet!

Re: Week 5, Run 2

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

Haha! I sure enjoyed reading your post! So I suppose this tells us all that we do have it inside of us to do the runs!!! I am wondering a few things: 1. Were you wearing running clothes or street clothes? 2. What did the idle peds think as you were running like someone was chasing you, and 3. How do you live without an ATM card!?!?

;-) Sheri
jackdamery

Re: Week 5, Run 2

Post by jackdamery »

I've just noticed this should be 'Week 5, Run 3'.

1. I was running in jogging bottoms and a t-shirt, with a back pack on.
2. People looked curious and maybe a bit annoyed that I was running in a busy street. I'm a tall young guy though, so I guess nothing too bizarre really.
3. It was my savings, I don't want a card so I don't spend it all the time. :)

I just failed week 6 run 1, couldnt even manage half way. Not sure why :S.