Just started last week and loving it

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Nicolabidmead

Just started last week and loving it

Post by Nicolabidmead »

Hi all I always loved running at school and was actually really good at it but after 15 years 2 kids and life it isn't something I have done for a long time and when I have dipped my toe in the water I have been put off thinking I can't do it anymore (so out of practice more like).

Week one has been great and I have actually found it great starting slowly as it has given me and chance to check my running style and try to improve it. I am really excited about starting week to and starting to push it a bit further.

This 1 1/2 stone I want to lose will be gone by the end of the 9 week plan I just know it. 9 1/2 stone here I come lol.

Good luck everyone

Nicky xxxxx
Simongeorge

Re: Just started last week and loving it

Post by Simongeorge »

Well done on getting started, I finished the program last week and can vouch for the results, yesterday I ran for 32 minutes in warm sunshine, 3 months ago I couldn't have run for 2 minutes. A small word of caution though, don't rely on the running for weight loss, the general consensus around here seems to be that you only get a small weight loss, but gain muscle, I myself started around 1.5 stone overweight and Ive lost about half that according to my scales, however, I'm definitely leaner than that, muscle weighs more than fat, so they say, but I'm definitely a runner now and I intend to continue running for many years to come.
Nicolabidmead

Post by Nicolabidmead »

As long as I am leaner and meaner that will do me lol. That is a great incentive that you have come so far in 3 mon the and I am looking forward to getting there myself.

I did wonder about the weight loss as I only lost 1 1/2 pounds last week and definitely deserved more than that but it is inches that count at the end of the day not what a set of scales say.

Nicky
Not a runner-yet!

Post by Not a runner-yet! »

I agree about the weight loss. Being from across the pond, I measure in pounds and wanted to lose 10 but I've not lost a single pound! I just finished week 8 tonight - but - I've lost inches and dropped a size! I feel so much better than I have after dieting and simply losing weight! My body is leaner and tighter. Ive noticed my upper arms are not as jiggly as before either! So ignore the scales and trust your jeans! This is a great app and no matter what you'll feel better!
Sheri
lbswfc87

Post by lbswfc87 »

It's a weird one with the weight my scales say I weigh the same and I've been working aswell as doing my running and trying to eat better aswell, but my trousers feel a lot looser than usual so something's not telling me something right. Good luck to you
Nicolabidmead

Post by Nicolabidmead »

At the fat club I go to (slimming world) the leader there said it is normal for weight loss to slow down with exercise because of your muscles retaining water. Not sure how true this is but that would make sense that your clothes are looser and you look leaner if it is just water retention. I wonder if some water retention tablets would help this????

Nicky