W3R1

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Tryingtorunmum

W3R1

Post by Tryingtorunmum »

In an hours time I'm due at the gym to do w3r1 and I am dreading it! I've managed weeks 1 and 2 ok I've been out of breath but I did it but today my legs ache and my hearts not in it! It looks to be such a big jump running 1 half minutes to suddenly double that to 3 minutes!!! I'm a bit scared and not looking forward to it quite frankly! :0(
Toadie

Re: W3R1

Post by Toadie »

Good luck! I was terrified of W3R1 too, but it's honestly not as bad as you think, and the app is extra helpful this week, too, with telling you to slow down and reminding you of your progress. I think the biggest thing is it just feels like you're running for a long time - it feels like you should've been told to stop a while ago!

It's tough, but this programme isn't meant to be super easy. But if you've managed the first two weeks, you should be able to do this one fine. Just keep telling yourself you can do it. Because you can!
Tryingtorunmum

Post by Tryingtorunmum »

I did it! I did it! :0D

It was hard but well I completed it! My legs didn't feel any sorer really but it was the final 3 mins I didn't think I was going to finish when she said brilliant you've only got a minute and half left aaaaggghhhhh but yippee I actually ran 3 minutes!! Twice haha
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

Tryingtorunmum wrote:I've been out of breath...
You are running too fast, mum! I know it might be awkward in a gym, but try singing the lyrics to the song your listening to, or carrying on a little conversation with someone next to you. It should be doable without gasping for breath. I highly recommend slowing it down to the point where you are not winded. Ignore the speedometer on the treadmill, but don't ignore the speed adjustment buttons. I know when I used one, I would just set it on 6mph (the speed i thought was running) and forget it. It's much easier to slow down running freestyle, on a treadmill it's a little more complicated. Good luck!
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Haha, it's not possible for me to run so slowly that I don't get out of breath... I'm just that unfit!

WELL DONE tryingtorunmum, knew you could do it! I know what you mean about that feeling when she says 'only a minute and a half left', I was like ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?! I wanted to stop then and there! But finishing it is such a good feeling. Onwards and upwards!