Running Location

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Pischi

Running Location

Post by Pischi »

When I started this program, one of my biggest issues was not being seen. I was so ashamed of my size, and my inability to run for more than 30 seconds at a time.
Running in Florida poses a challenge anyway. We combat heat and humidity. The air is very dense. I started out running in a local park called Chain of Lakes, thinking that the proximity to water would bring a breeze. Wrong!
Then chose another park, Fox Lake, shady, lots of trees. Unfortunately it rained, poured, really. I ran to the pavilion and found it large enough to complete my run in a deluge with the added benefit of misting when running/walking close to the perimeter.
The last four runs have been taking place in our local cemetery. Lots twists, turns, and plenty of color, thanks to silk flowers galore. The place is very shady and no one thinks to use this as a running venue.
I would love read about other members running locales. Do you switch it up or are you a creature of habit? I think the location, location, location makes all the difference.
Toadie

Re: Running Location

Post by Toadie »

Such an interesting topic! I live just round the corner from a park, so I run there. Generally I can complete two circuits of it in my Get Running session (about 3k in total). But it's often full of other runners, people walking dogs, prams, kids playing football, tramps having a wander, etc - it'd be nicer to run somewhere quieter, but equally the mornings and evenings are now getting darker (I live in Scotland) and I'm a little scared of running somewhere completely deserted in the dark. Still, there is a canal towpath about a 5 minute walk from me, so maybe if I got over my fear of the dark that would be a nicer place to run?

All told, I love running outside, even though before I started I was terrified of it. I felt so self-conscious, like everyone would be looking at me and thinking I was terrible. I only started running outside because I don't earn very much and I can't afford a gym membership or a treadmill (even my running shoes only cost £6). But running outside is one of the best things I've ever done - I love the fresh air, watching the seasons, having to negotiate puddles and raindrops and breezes. It's cheesy, but the best things in life are free!
Timl2k10

Re: Running Location

Post by Timl2k10 »

I live in Florida too and quit almost every summer. ;) Location used to be a big problem for me, I lived in a tight apartment complex in a dense suburban environment. And getting to a nice place to run sometimes meant dealing with rush hour gridlock! I just want to walk out the door and run! I wasn't very successful there. Now I live in a house within 1/2 mile of a golf course which offers all sorts of twists and turns I can investigate. There are also nice neighborhoods to the north and west which should give me more options.