I keep injuring my knee!!!!!!!!!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
MegK

I keep injuring my knee!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by MegK »

I am SO frustrated!!! I started this app a few months ago. On the last day of week 1, I injured my left knee. It hurt SO bad! At first I thought it was just runners knee, but it got progressively worse, even after resting it for several days. Eventually I had to go see an orthopaedic doctor who gave me a shot in my knee and said I had bursitis. He told me I probably shouldn't be running, but if I really wanted to run, I should take a few months off and then I should start walking and then eventually get back to running.

I still don't know what caused the inflammation. After that incident, I even went out and got fitted for running shoes, in case it was because I was running in old shoes not meant for running.

Well, I took two months off. I started walking. Last week, I thought I would try the app again. On the last day of week 1, I HURT MY OTHER KNEE! It barely hurt after the run, but it's getting worse. I can't kneel down on the knee without it hurting. I am BEYOND frustrated!!!! Why do I keep injuring my knee??? What is wrong with me?! Is this something that is pretty common or am I doing something wrong? I just want to be able to get to week 2 without hurting myself! :(

So frustrated!!

Meg
Timl2k10

Re: I keep injuring my knee!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Timl2k10 »

How fast are you running?
MegK

Post by MegK »

Not very fast at all. It's more like a slow jog. I'm more focused on endurance than speed at this point.
Toadie

Post by Toadie »

Oh no, poor you! It might be worth going to see a physiotherapist and asking if there are some gentle exercises they can give you to build up your strength, so you don't injure yourself as easily?
starknut

Post by starknut »

It's entirely possible that running just isn't for you. Trying lower-impact cardio such as swimming or cycling might be the best option for you. Because lets face it, knees are kind of important, you don't want to mess them up permanently.
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

The human knee is actually poorly designed, from an evolutionary perspective. It's somewhat of a miracle that this part of the body was able to evolve to support bipedalism (walking on two legs). The knee has to support most of our weight and take a tremendous amount of impact and stress. My only running injuries have been knee related. I have to be cautious. I had an over enthusiastic run (too fast, too long) and had to stop running for months. Knees are definitely the Achilles heel for runners (and football players!). Also some people have poor running mechanics that can lead to knee injuries. My right foot tends to turn right instead of pointing straight ahead. Ultimately that stresses a part of my lower leg which in turn stresses my knee.
Another option to running is speed walking. You can burn just as many calories as running by walking really fast. When you get better you could try walking and slowly picking up the pace and see how it goes. Again mechanics comes into play, but not so bad as with running, I think.