14 year old, first day, epic fail!!!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Samdaman

14 year old, first day, epic fail!!!

Post by Samdaman »

So I went for the first run today and was shattered after the first walk section. Will it really get easier?!? I only managed to do half!!!
masands

Re: 14 year old, first day, epic fail!!!

Post by masands »

Hi Samdaman,
Firstly your 14! By the time your my age (18) you will be running marathons!
I also failed my first run. After the 4th run I had to stop and sit for 5 minutes before I could go on. However today I just did my 25 minute run! Trust me, perceiver and it will get much much easier! I was doing the whole thing by week 1 run 3, so just keep going.
I do recommend not quiting. If you have to walk for longer or sit, pause the app. But make sure you finish that run once you are comfortable.
Hopefully that helps.
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Great advice!

Don't worry if you didn't finish - you did the hard bit, you started.

Remember that if you want, you can run any day exta times. If you wan to build up the first week from four runs to eight, then go for it. Plenty of people on the forum have repeated each week for two weeks, and they've got to the end.

Remember that you can slowdown too — a lot of people start out too fast. A gentle jog is a good beginning.

So, if you've started, you can definitely finish :-) Welcome on board! Get in to enjoying what you do do, and it'll all follow on.
Steffi

Post by Steffi »

Hang in there. I did my first run today and only did half as well. I think I went too hard in the running and will slow it down on the next attempt.
The main thing is we have started! :D
Magnolia

Post by Magnolia »

I agree. Hang in there! You have done the hardest part.

And look at it this way, it will only get easier! :D

I think lots of people repeat weeks, especially the first week. I did all three runs in the first week twice. There was no way I could have moved on to week 2 at the end of the first one.

And the fact that you are only 14 and are focusing on getting healthy is AWESOME.