I've always admired runners; Now I'm going to be one?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
AmeriAus

I've always admired runners; Now I'm going to be one?

Post by AmeriAus »

Just completed my first run using Get Running! I was not as bad as I was anticipating. It was just enough to make me sweat a bit and feel exerted but not so much that I wanted to stop. I'm pretty pumped for the next run! (I almost want to do run 1 again tomorrow, but that would be a bad idea, wouldn't it?)

I've been reading this forum for a week or two whenever I have a spare minute, building myself up to start the program. I've also been making a running playlist using jog.fm. I told myself that as soon as I bought new running shoes, I'd do my first run. Both of those things happened today. :D

I tried Couch to 5K a couple of years ago using the podcasts, but stopped after only a few runs. I think that having my own music combined with the app's brilliant encouragement is going to get me through this program.

I did notice that my stride wasn't very long and that I wasn't picking my knees up very far, but I suppose that's fine if I don't want to overdo the pace? I can work on it as I progress through the program. My main complaint was pain in my shoulders while running, which is something I have experienced before. Perhaps a new sports bra would help this?
LinP

Re: I've always admired runners; Now I'm going to be one?

Post by LinP »

I'm a total running novice so I can't give advice but congratulations on your progress so far and i hope you enjoy it. I certainly am :)
AmeriAus

Post by AmeriAus »

Run 2, week 1 went quite well this evening. I was surprised to see that it was just a repeat of the second run, but that gave me a bit of a confidence boost as I already knew I was capable of finishing the run. I'm looking forward to the third run of the week.

I think I might have had just a bit too much water before/during my run as I had an uncomfortable sloshing feeling in my stomach toward the end. It was nothing too bad, though.

Where are you at in the program, LinP?
LinP

Post by LinP »

I always make sure I have a wee just before running. I drink about half hour before running so I'm not too sloshy :)

I just did W3R2 yesterday.

Still loving it.
AmeriAus

Post by AmeriAus »

I'm glad that you are still loving it in week 3, LinP. That is the week that I'm worried about.

I finished W1R3 about 40 minutes ago. It went quite well. No sloshing as I stopped drinking and went to the toilet a few times an hour before I was due to go out. Plus, I only gave myself a half bottle of water and tried to drink as little of it as possible until I made it to my cool down walk. I also bought a new sports bra and it treated me pretty well today.

I'm pretty confident that I will do well in week two. It's week three's three minute runs that are just a bit intimadating to me. But, I have three runs to do before I'm there, so I'm not going to worry about it.
AmeriAus

Post by AmeriAus »

Just finished week two. It was more challenging that week one, but wasn't bad at all. I quite enjoyed it.

Now on the week three, which I am kind of fearing...