Any other newby's out there?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Lottie

Re: Any other newby's out there?!

Post by Lottie »

Good luck with it Kaybee! It was difficult but it was enjoyable at the same time, strange!! Looking forward to hearing how you get on :)
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Yeah I'm looking forward to continuous movement instead of short bursts! I'm sure I won't be saying that once I'm halfway through a 3 min run!
I've got no idea where I'm going to run tomorrow, we have got about 3 inches of snow here and I don't fancy a broken ankle!
Lottie I hope your sore shins aren't shin splints, they hurt a lot and get worse before they get better :-/
Charley x
Saxylexx

Post by Saxylexx »

Hey everyone!

I'm another newbie, just had my first run today. Decided to brave the park across the road from us, covered in snow and hidden ice mind, which is helpful! I'm desperate to get a bit fitter and thinner as I'm getting married next year. Do t want to be a skinny Minnie but I'd quite like to be able to run for the bus without having an asthma attack!

Safe to say I died, completely and utterly. Walked the second half of run 5 and had to stop for 5 minutes as felt sick! What's this??? But, I did it!! I have a feeling i'll need to run the first week twice as clearly walking a few times a week is nothing compared to running it :/

Has anyone else doubled back ? Somehow can't see myself getting past this first week! :(

Lex :)
Osnooshy

Post by Osnooshy »

Well - it's over and out for me, unfortunately. I have to have an operation on my left knee. I had successfully completed W2R2 and wasn't until a few hours later that I felt pain. Now I can barely put any pressure on it.

But - I'll be back. More determined than ever.

Ill keep an eye on this forum and see how you are all coming along! Makes me smile (with envy!) when I read of some of the weather conditions. Snowing. -2. Gold!! We're heading back up to high 30's to low 40 degrees (c) here in south Australia.
Keep warm!!

Tam xx
Osnooshy

Post by Osnooshy »

PS
Well done to you, Charley, for starting this thread. It's a good one!!

Keep up the good work

xx
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Hi Lex!
Don't panic, I had to stop AND felt sick on my first run too.
You'll find the next one so much easier just because you know what to expect.
Go as slowly as you need to during the runs, I am barely moving during some of them!

Tam I can't believe you have to have an operation :(
I'm so gutted for you! I hope you get better fast and can rejoin us soon!
Keep us posted on how your knee is doing!
You wouldn't be jealous of our weather if you could feel how cold my nose was today! I'd love to come and thaw out in 40 degrees! Haha!

I'm psyching myself up for tonight's run....... in -3
It's gonna be chilly!!

Much love, Charley x
Frankie

Post by Frankie »

Hi Charley,

Thanks for informative and motivating posts! You must be shuffed to have completed A couple of weeks or so of the programme.
I am a newbie! I did my first run today. It went OK although I had a bit of trouble breathing due to the cold air this morning, I think. I live in Wales, it was sunny and the view spectacular in the Brecon Beacons dusted with snow.
I was impressed with the instructions, listened to my play list and liked the fact the music was turned down while Miss Chirpy gave instructions and she did not talk too much. I worked up quite a sweat which surprised me and my face was very red when I got home! Not a good look! I was quite relieved to have managed Week 1 Run 1, looking forward to Run 2.
I have just returned from a snowboarding trip during which I realised on the 8th day I was not as fit as I should be. I'd like to continue snowboarding as long as I can before reverting back to skiing, my 2 favourite sports. I am a 62 years old female who could do with losing a bit of weight! So if I can do it, anyone can. I walk a fair bit but have never run before. Good luck! Frankie
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

Hi Frankie!!!
So excited to have so many people checking in on here! I love reading how others are doing!
I know exactly what you mean about the cold air, it really steals your breath. I've found my breathing to be a lot more controlled altogether now (and I've only done 7 sessions!) so I'm sure you'll see the same effects soon. I wish I had somewhere pretty to run, I'm in a very urban built up area just north of London!

I've just done W3R1 - the 1.5 min runs were a breeze (which felt bloody amazing!) and even the first 3 min run was really good, but the second 3 mins was total rubbish, I was hurting from about 10 seconds in and had to stop dramatically when she said I still had 30 seconds left! I wasn't out of breath, my legs just really hurt! The cold definitely didn't help, my legs are still stinging and I've been home 30 mins.
Oh well, I'll try again on Thursday and hopefully I'll see an improvement (in my running and the weather)!

Keep going guys and girls,
Charley x
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

W2R2 finished and also the first one where I was so not motivated. I feel my knee is weak and it was really cold :o and snowy out. If I didn't have a friend to run with, who joined me this week, I probably would have found some excuse. Of course once it's done, it feels great. The two minute runs feel long. Isn't that terrible? Today, the route was longer....

Sorry to hear About the knee going out in Australia. I am sure you will be back!
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Hey everybody! W3R1 is in the books. My lungs are fine but my knees hurt. It didn't feel like it was in the joint but in surrounding tissue. Just ran through it and took some Alleve when I got home. Hope that was the right thing to do. I think I would like to have a quicker pace but want to protect my knees. Seems, from what I'm reading, others are having similar issues. We'll see after my rest day. Take care, everybody.