Any other newby's out there?!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Debbie

Re: Any other newby's out there?!

Post by Debbie »

I finished week 5 run 3 today also. I too have found that music helps, get songs with a beat you can run to and just go!! I am not nearly as fast as I want to be but I did run the 20 minutes and I did do over a mile, very happy and still striving to do better!

I like this program a lot and have recommended it to a few friends, hopefully they will find success too!
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Debbie...didnt feel so great during but felt really good about 30 minutes after. A little tight this morning but in a good way, like ive done something good for myself..yay us! :lol:
Charley...where are you? Want to hear hw you're doing. You got us all started on this thread :?:
Yall keep posting :D
CharleyMe

Post by CharleyMe »

I'm here I'm here!
Sorry for abandoning you all!
I have been reading how you're all doing nearly every day but I hadn't been running in so long I didn't have much to say!
I dragged myself back out yesterday evening and was kinda heartbroken at how hard it was even though I went back a week on the app!
The snow has been gone for like a week now so I don't know why I didn't just get right back on it last weekend, I wish I had!
Maybe one more repeat of W2R3 and I'll be back on week 3 again hopefully!
You're all so far through the programme now! In a weird way it makes me proud of you and I don't even know you! Ha!
Keep at it guys!
Charley xxxxxxxx
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

Yey week 5 graduates....My week five starts tomorrow. It is constantly raining here now so I assume it will be a wet ride. I started looking for a longer way to run. Altegolibby, how do you figure out the beat of the music? I have muscle aches from yesterday... trying to go too fast plus no stretching after because of the rain. Will have to be good about that tomorrow.
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

KB, you can look up songs that you already have down loaded, online. I just searched the by title and then 'beats per minute'. I started with a song that seemed to fit my pace well and then used it as my guide. For example, the song 'beat it' by John Mayer ( not the Michael Jackson version) is ~150 bpm so I just created a playlist that was 30 minutes long with 20 minutes of songs in the middle that are ~150 bpm. There is an app too that I may try, that changes to tempo of All songs in you playlist to the tempo you choose. Also search iTunes for 150 beats per minute and a lot of stuff comes up. It was def worth the effort for me. Let me know if it works for you.
Charley, happy to hear youre still hangin in there. I have been Lucky to have phenomenal weather. Although one day I did use the treadmill, yuck.
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

W6r1 done. Not bad at all really. Didnt even notice that my knees have stopped hurting. Thats a good thing. Waiting to hear about you all.
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

W6R2 in the books. I'm not gonna lie, this was the worst for me yet. Why? The thought of Friday's run is scary. :o

Not alot of action on this thread. I hope I'm not the last 'man' standing. :|
londonchick

Post by londonchick »

Hiya! Loving everyone's accounts!

I'm a 30 year old with zero fitness. No idea why I am so rubbish. Used to be excellent at school!

I am a nurse so work crazy shifts and no time for running after a day shift but I'm giving this app my best shot. It's been on my phone for months!!

I did W1R1 today and it was pretty tough. I struggled on some of the 1 min runs but not all. Hoping it gets easier!! Loving this thread. You're all giving me massive motivation so keep going!!!
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Completed w6r3 and it wasnt pleasant. Not sure if i should repeat or forge ahead. Im waiting for it to start to feel good. Im trying to focus on steady breathing rather than how my body feels. Do I sound like Im whining? Somebody call me a 'Waaaambulance'! :roll: Yall keep posting, I want to hear how you're doing. 2 days of rest for me, have a great weekend.
kaybee

Post by kaybee »

Hi altegolibby,
you are not the last one standing, just been out of extra time to post and stuff.
I checked out your recommendation about the songs.
Just now downloaded jog.fm which supposedly takes the songs on your device and matches your
running speed. I thought that was pretty cool and rewarded myself with a bunch of new songs for
finishing week 5. But alas, it doesnt work. I emailed the company about it
because I am really mad about that now. ( I got an answer back from them immediately! Now it works -- guess my songs had too many german letters in them or something / jogged around the house with a great song to match. Impressive! Thanks for pointing me towards this idea of matching songs altegolibby)
perhaps my songs are not fast enough or not enough... but the app seems broken.
Week 5 went great. I was really scared about run 3. Half way through the run a snow storm started.
It was really weird, really cold and totally beautiful. Huge snowflakes stuck to my face. I will not forget it.
AND we made it / running with a friend. We did it - not exactly at our usual pace - but we did it.
So what is so bad about week 6? I thought after week 5 , the first run in week 6 should be doable. And
slowing down, the 29 minutes should be all right? I am wondering about reaching 5k. We had a distance of 3.30 miles,
including the walking in the end. That was pretty cool. I will measure next week how much of that I actually run.
Went out last night to celebrate after I got home in the beautiful snow - everything was white and huge flakes were falling down as I did the cool down streching. Its already all gone again today. Bummer - actuallly.
So you are not the only one left standing or running. If you repeat week 6 we will be in the same program!