Help with Week 5 Run 3, please!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
pmorris1274

Help with Week 5 Run 3, please!

Post by pmorris1274 »

Hello, everyone. I have been doing quite well with this app and training schedule, until today. Week 5, Run 3, nearly did me in. I don't understand the huge leap in running time. Run 2 was a 10 minute continuous run, which was definitely a challenge, but I did it. Then, the next run, run 3, was a continuous 20 minute run, which I found impossible. I couldn't get past the 10 minute mark without having to walk and catch my breath for a minute, then I had to stop and walk for a minute one other time after that. I don't understand the huge leap in running time. I can see perhaps increasing the time from 10 minutes on the prior run, to 15 on the next, but to go from 10 to 20? That's huge. At least, it is for me, anyway.

Runs 1 and 2 this week when I ran no more than 10 minutes continually were great, so I hesitate to repeat the whole week, simply because run 3 kicked me in the tuchas. What do you suggest I do for my runs next week? My heart sank when the voice prompt said next week's runs will be even longer. There is no way I can do those until I conquer 20 minutes of a continual run.

Help!!!!

Thanks in advance for any and all advice and guidance!

Patricia
pmorris1274

Re: Help with Week 5 Run 3, please!

Post by pmorris1274 »

P.S. I am "running" as slowly as can be, so I know I am not running too fast, and tiring too quickly. In fact, some people do a fast walk about the same pace as I run, lol!
starknut

Post by starknut »

I say this to everyone who expresses doubt about w5r3, but it always bears repeating: w5r3 is only a few minutes more than w5r1 and 2. I think four minutes more overall? It's just not having any walking intervals that is such a huge mental stumbling block. While you say you are already going very slowly, there's nothing wrong with slowing down more to recover a bit (often I find I have to make a conscious effort to "throttle" but it helps tremendously). As long as you are not actually walking, it doesn't matter how slow you're going, just keep running!

Go back and do the first two runs of w5 again, and then try r3 once more. I know you don't want to repeat, but if r3 really is a struggle, this will help get you prepared to try again. Sometimes all the body needs is more practice! I know you can do this!
Norwaygirl

Post by Norwaygirl »

Hi, i did my w5r3 20 min run yesterday. it was hard but i managed. Because i was very nervous about it i specifically chose a route that went slightly downhill to make it easier for me. I find any kind of climb makes it at lot harder. Maybe the route you chose was too challenging? Also; have you got a good playlist to listen to? I find inspiring music matters more than i'd like to admit.

Try an easier route, make sure you have a great playlist and go for it again. If i can do it then everybody can. Good luck!!
starknut

Post by starknut »

While I was out running today, it occurred to me that I forgot to give you a really important bit of advice: keep your breathing steady! This is what will make or break your long runs. Steady breath in, steady breath out through loosely pursed lips. Never let your breathing get away from you, because once you start open-mouthed gasping, that's it, you're not in control any longer, and you will have to stop and get your breath back. This is THE most important thing to learn when running, in my opinion.
atomica

Post by atomica »

I have just completed this run (w5,d3) this morning. I would agree with what everyone here has said already, especially the bit about not worrying about your pace, in fact I swear I was barely moving at all at one point although making running actions!

My preference is to have a good audio book on the headset and not to think too much about the increase in running time beforehand, but to let it happen. I tend to repeat each day / week at least a couple of times at every stage before moving up a level (I was very unfit and have smoked for years and years) and if I have an off day, I just try it again next time. I might feel annoyed at myself at the time but I have learnt that for me it is better to just get over it and focus on the next attempt instead, and I am confident that the programme will have me running for 30 mins solid eventually, and then 5km at some point after that ....

Very good luck and have confidence in yourself, the progress you've made so far and in the programme and you will do it!
pmorris1274

Post by pmorris1274 »

Thank you for all of your advice, everyone! I am running on an indoor track at my local gym, so it is as flat as flat can be. :) I think what happened was I experienced the huge mental block that someone mentioned. It was also a Friday, so by the end of a long work-week, and to a newbie runner, I just didn't have it in me mentally or physically. They should save the longer runs for the beginning of the week, when we have had adequate rest over a long week-end! :D I might need take the intensity down on my cross-training on my non-running days a notch or two to save energy for my longer runs now.

Thank you, Starcknut for the breathing advice. It really is true! I found that if I lose control of my breathing, it is when I really start to struggle on my run. It was a holiday weekend here, so I didn't get to view your posts until I got back today. I ended up doing a 15 minute continuous run for day 1 while running on a local hiking trail in the mountains, and will try week 5 run 3 again on runs 2 and 3 this week. Then, if all goes well, resume with week 6.

I did do a search for week 5 run 3 in the search engine on here, and did not see much of anything, so thank you to everyone who responded with such great words of encouragement and advice!