Just finishing week 2

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
tl302

Re: Just finishing week 2

Post by tl302 »

Wow what a run tonight Wk 4 run 1 was great. Was a little concerned going into the first 5 min run but finished it easily, so I was not concerned about finishing the run. I am looking forward to finishing this week and getting into week 5.

Have a great week.

Tim
Redro

Post by Redro »

Well done Tim. Feeling pretty chuffed too - it's a long time since I have run for 16 minutes - with 5 minutes on the trot. This is going to be good. A 10 k race or fun run becoming a distinct possibility in the not too distant future! Enjoy the rest of this week's 2 runs.
Cheers
Redro
jules71

Post by jules71 »

I am also at the same stage and performed better tonight but did have a little pain in my left leg. I am a bit worried about starting week 3 as it is such a jump to run for 3 minutes after only ever running fir a minute and a half
tl302

Post by tl302 »

You can do it. Its really not that much different. Just take it slow and pace yourself. I enjoyed run 2 of wk 4 tonight and looking forward to finishing the week. I have actually enjoyed running on the tread mill. It helps me to maintain a constant pace. My dog is not to happy about it, but she will catch up when the weather gets warmer.
Redro

Post by Redro »

Did same run tonight too - all good. Next week we will be half way through the programme. Took a look at my records on RunKeeper. Have covered 40 ks since I started. Thats 40 ks I would not have exercised if I was not doing this. Nearly covered a marathon distance. Off to the Beaujolais hills this weekend - will have to make sure I get in the Saturday run.
angela

Post by angela »

Hello I'm just starting week 4 tomorrow and i have to say i'm a bit worried about the 5 min run - this will be my second attempt at using this app and week 4 is where i stopped last time. I'm trying to be positive so i don't end up giving up Any suggestions? I'm running on a treadmill and am pretty overweight so i know that my size doesn't make running easier :cry:
benjohn

Post by benjohn »

Hi Angela,

Well done for getting running again!

So, you've done nearly seven weeks of running now, right, which means you've managed most of the program! In a way :-)

Mostly, my advice is: just don't give up. There's no reason now that you've got this far.

Lots of runners repeat a few runs as they go through the program. I spent nearly two weeks doing one week the first time round (I'm the developer, by the way).

Having finished week three, you've done something fantastic. If week four is too much at the moment, then run week three for a while longer until week four isn't too foreboding.

One of the runners on twitter sent out a pile of great tweets. She wasn't finishing the runs in week one. First time out she did four one minutes runs and from there she walked. But that's fine! Next time out, she did six one minute runs. On the third time out she did all eight runs. That's a really great approach – take it all at your pace and eventually you'll get there :-)

Thanks, and happy running,
Benjohn
tl302

Post by tl302 »

i agree just take your time and repeat a week if you have to. Pace yourself and take your time and you will do it.

Good luck

Tim
angela

Post by angela »

Hi Benjohn and Tim
Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of repeating a week instead of giving in so my plan today is to attempt the 5 min bit and if it's too difficult I can stop after 4 min. That way at least I'm pushing myself on from the previous week. If the whole week is difficult ill just keep repeating it till i can do it! That's the plan anyway.. I'll see what happens once I get to the gym and step on that treadmill!!! Will let you know how it goes :)
btw Benjohn I just LOVE your app and look forward to the day when all the weeks have that satisfying tick next to them!
Angela
angela

Post by angela »

I feel GREAT!! I love this app! The run was fine.. the first 5 min felt a little rough and I was hyper aware of aches in my legs but by the second one I felt in control and just knew I was going to finish strong. I felt so great afterwards I launched straight into week 2 and then week 1 runs. I'm sure I'll pay for it tomorrow but right now I'm a very happy bunny indeed :D
Have a great weekend and thanks for the encouragement