Week 4 and I'm struggling

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Maddy

Week 4 and I'm struggling

Post by Maddy »

:( Done really well on week 1,2 and 3 really looked forward to starting week 4 today.
Managed the 3 minute ok, but by the time I ran the 5 mins it was touch and go if I was going to make it.
Slowed my pace right down but it didn't help much. My knees are now hurting despite purchasing a proper pair of running shoes from a running shop.
I wear a heart monitor on my GPs advice, my heart rate stays quite steady for a while then starts to shoot up.
Managed to run up to last 9 secs of 2nd 5 min run & had to walk.... totally dissapointed in myself today :?
Catherine_M

Re: Week 4 and I'm struggling

Post by Catherine_M »

Aww I know it must be hard but try not to be too disappointed, if you've got to week 4 with no problems then that's fantastic, I'm only on week 2 and struggling!

You might have just been having an off day! Have a rest and try again another day, And then take it from there, don't let 1 bad run ruin the program.

Catherine x
Emmaa05

Post by Emmaa05 »

Don't feel dissappointed. I have just finished week 4, & gotta say I really struggled with the first run of the week. The second I even found hard, & had to mix in a bit of walking. But I have done two more runs of week 4 this week, & found both of them manageable. Felt really proud of myself for today's run, as the last 5 mins felt like forever, but I got there!
Just remember how tough 1 min seemed on week one, & be proud of how much you have done. You can & you will do it, because if I can, then anyone can!
Good luck.
Maddy

Post by Maddy »

Thanks both for your replies :)
I went to the gym this morning, did a 5 min warm up on the treadmill before I was dragged off to make the numbers up at Aqua combat class !
Did an hour of hard aqua cardio then went back up to the gym and got back on the tredmill.
Something must have happend in the night lol as I managed to run for 10 mins solid followed by a 1 min walk then a further 4 minutes, gasping a bit but felt ok.
So how come I managed to do that today and not yesterday ?
The gym instructor thinks the pain in the knees will settle as my body gets used to me running.
So here we go again, onwards and upwards. 2 steps forward and 3 back.
So how are you both getting on...Do you run on a treadmill or on the road ?
I run on a treadmill, mainly because I live in a tiny village with 6 street lights and I feel a bit of a pillock running up and down it on my own lol :lol:
Emmaa05

Post by Emmaa05 »

Glad that you had a better day; some days just seem to go better than others I guess. Who knows why? I am already panicking about week 5, but I have panicked about week 3 and 4 and made it through, so will just hit the pavements Wednesday and get on with it!
I run on the street, as I can't afford a gym, and I have a dog so I have to take her out every day anyhow! And they were the main two reasons I started this running programme as a way of getting fit! Still haven't been to a running shop for any decent trainers yet, but not having any major problems with the ones I have so will wait till I have some spare money (if there is such a thing!!!) before I treat myself. Maybe this week as pay day is coming up!
Enjoy the rest of the week 4 runs!
bearlady

Post by bearlady »

Oh I know how you feel! Ihave just finished week 4 and started week 5 yesterday, just about made it (moves to 3 x 5 minute runs - which is less than week 4) but sore bum today! What I have noticed is that I'm not exactly keeping a brisk pace when walking, I expect I'll have to repeat week 5 next week, if I manage the other two runs - I'm not yet ready for the 8 minute run.

Keep the faith, as you said you've come along way. I feel so much better after I have managed a run, and that in itself is enough to keep me going.

xxx
Petra

Post by Petra »

Don't worry about a bad run, it just happens sometimes. In the Running Tips section on this site you can read: "If you have a bad workout, then don't get put off! Everyone has bad days, and they normally come just before your running really improves!"
But you've already noticed this yourself.

Good luck!

Petra.
Maddy

Post by Maddy »

Been to the gym tonight and struggled again, maybe it's because I've worked all day. :?
Managed to run the 2nd run of week 4 but I don't feel ready to advance any further at the moment.
One thing for all this running I'm sleeping really well!
Emmaa05

Post by Emmaa05 »

You can always re-do a week if you feel the need. I've just started wk 5, & am nervous about the 20 min non-stop run at the end of the week, but if I feel I can't do it, will just do some of the previous runs till I can manage it. I think it's better to work to your own pace, but I think you will be surprised at how much you are actually able to do!!
I can't believe that I keep managing the weeks as they keep increasing! :)
Maddy

Post by Maddy »

Thanks everyone for all your words of support, it's great to hear we are all getting there in our own pace & time :)

Went to the gym last night and ran for 30 mins on and off with a 5 min then a 3 min run with walking inbetween.
I'm still struggling a bit but the more I do the more I'm improving although slowly.
Had the flu jab a couple of days ago and have now gone down with a cold so that's slowed me down a bit.

So what are your plans when you have all finished the 5K ? Run for the 10K or do a marathon ?