Sticky: Introductions!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
redrunner

Re: Sticky: Introductions!

Post by redrunner »

Hello, I'm Sarah and I'm from Ireland!
I used to be big into running in my teens but in four years I put on about 4 stone (which is around 56lbs to any americans who don't understand stones) and from March of this year I've joined weightwatchers and am trying to regain my activity levels, having just started week 4 of get running today (though i did fail at it) i think I'm well on my way!

My journey so far I'm blogging about too, on http://redrunner.posterous.com

I'm addicted to twitter so feel free to add me, I like seeing how others are getting along and am a firm believer that group support is the best way to get something done!!!
Markism3

Post by Markism3 »

Today was Day 1 Wow really like the app! Thanks Can't wait for Tuesday! :D

Maria from Fort Worth, Texas
kathylhall

Post by kathylhall »

Hi John!

I'm Kathy and me and a few friends just got the Get Running iPhone app and are using it to train for Race for the Cure here in Little Rock Arkansas on October 16, 2010.

I'm 42 years old and a mom to two wonderful sons. I'm a two time breast cancer survivor, having has my last chemo on November 13, 2009. We wanted to step up are game for the race and I'm confident you're program will let us do just that!

I'm looking forward to this new challenge!
Kathy
Jacie1205

Post by Jacie1205 »

Hi everyone!!!!
I'm really looking forward to starting this program from all the posts I've read so far. I too am state side and am considerably overweight. I am starting off with 3 thirty minute walks this week. I will move up as I feel strong enough. I love the motivation these posts have. I can't wait to "officially" start the training program. I never considered I could be a runner but with the support I see in these posts I feel the sky the limit. ;)
Jenn
sagie

Post by sagie »

Hi all
I'm Michelle and after hitting 40 erarlier this year I have been doing lots of thinking about my life and my weight. I've tried every diet known to man and have decided to give up dieting and concentrate more on health!! Got this app yesterday and did the first run last night under cover of darkness! I really struggled and by the end I was still jogging but my feet were barely leaving the ground and I was taking baby steps!!! But i did it!! Looking forward to tomorrow for my second run and all the benefits running is going to bring me.
Take care everyone
Michelle
xx
siduff

Post by siduff »

Hi all, I’m Simon from Wigan in the UK.

A friend of mine put me onto get running, I completed wk1 run2 yesterday and I’m quite happy with myself. I've kinda let myself go over the years so I decided I need to do something about it. I started dieting about 11 months ago and I’ve lost 4st 4lb to date and I know I need to start exercising to carry on the weight loss. After the 1st minute of running on week 1 I felt like I was going to collapse but the 90 second walks in-between really help. I'm actually looking forward to completing week 1 tomorrow and hopefully building up over the weeks to run a whole 5k!
It seems like a massive task to run 5k at the moment as I’ve never ran or exercised at all really, but I’m really determined to do this. Friends of mine who regularly run tell me how much they enjoy it; I’m looking forward to running 5k 3 times a week :D
fabfeet

Post by fabfeet »

Hello

Have just completed week 1 run 1, loved it and really looking forward to the next. I'm in love with my new iPhone :lol: and hope to learn to love running too. Just need to get new earphones that stay in my ear while running! I need to lose 7kg. So Get Running is part of my overall plan which also includes Weight Watchers online, tap dance classes and Zumba classes. My husband has run for fitness for many years. I really hope I can maintain motivation and gain a similar level of fitness.

FabFeet, Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne, Australia

My fab feet are going to help shed 7kg
Lorraine

Post by Lorraine »

hello all,

im Lorraine from Sydney australia and 2day was my first day using this app... and surprised myself that i actually got out of bed to start this program and the best part i finished it and loved it totally...my legs are sore but really i cant wait to go again.. i feel motivated that i made even an effort to learn more about running so thats why im here now,hoping that i go right thru to the end....now im in my 30s and never have done any form of excercise since school days and i want to really get fit and healthier so im so excited about this new found luv i have but i found today how unfit i really am....Although completing the session today i had great difficulty to breath properly and very dry throat(and i had water) oh i struggled hard with the breathing (and did read some tips about breathing),however at this stage i still cant wait to continue and hopefully finish...........so many thanks for the whole creation of this app and looking forward to get to the finish line
Lorraine

Post by Lorraine »

[quote="fabfeet"]Hello

Have just completed week 1 run 1, loved it and really looking forward to the next. I'm in love with my new iPhone :lol: and hope to learn to love running too. Just need to get new earphones that stay in my ear while running! I need to lose 7kg. So Get Running is part of my overall plan which also includes Weight Watchers online, tap dance classes and Zumba classes. My husband has run for fitness for many years. I really hope I can maintain motivation and gain a similar level of fitness.

FabFeet, Melbourne, Australia

hey there fabfeet,

its Lorraine from sydney here and just reading your message and just want to let u know about some fab earphones i purchased today as i just started yesterday and had the same problem of the earphones falling out....jb hifi had a fab range and the 1 got is wireless bluetooth....,really great and stay comfotable on the ear and they are like normal headphones but really light weight and wrap around the back of the neck..these are really the best i saw although they were not cheap($280), but worth it if i continue.....the brand was sennheiser mm100...they also had a lot cheaper options that stay in the ears but not wireless....goodluck
lorraine
mandapanda27

Post by mandapanda27 »

Hello! I'm Amanda from Suffolk in the UK. I've just completed my 20 minute run and am so pleased with myself :-)

I have 3 children, all boys aged 3, 6 & 9, and since having them my only excersise has been the school run. I started this due to a big restriction in my diet due to allergies. I started putting on weight and felt very tired and sluggish on my antihistamines. Running has now boosted my energy levels, and although I haven't lost any weight, my shape has changed and most importantly I haven't put on any weight!

Thank you get running, I look forward to making it to a 30 minute run!