Week 6 questions

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
niddynoddy

Week 6 questions

Post by niddynoddy »

Hi all!

I was so pleased to complete my day 3 of week 5 - 20 mins none stop jogging.

I have looked at week 6 and it goes back to intervals . Does anyone know why? Having run 20 mins comfortably I am tempted now to ignore day 1&2 of week 6 and just do 20 min jogs.

Am I being silly by doing that? Is there a good reason that my over keeness can't see for going back to intervals?

Zoe
benjohn

Re: Week 6 questions

Post by benjohn »

Interval training is used even by very experienced runners – it's a good way of stretching your abilities. Also, just doing continuous longer runs (and at the current level, the 20 minutes is long), is not great – it's good to mix things up a bit and keep your running varied.

Training programs that continue on from the Couch to 5K plan that Get Running uses would continue to use intervals and would keep on mixing long sessions with shorter ones.

My advice would be to go with the suggested program, but if you really feel it's holding you back at this stage, and that that will dent your enthusiasm, then do what keeps you enjoying your training!
niddynoddy

Re: Week 6 questions

Post by niddynoddy »

Hi ben

thanks for the advice. In my heart I know I need to rain in my keenness to run for longer periods.

My head wants more of the feeling of my legs moving.

Zoe