What do people use to carry their phones?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Shuffler

What do people use to carry their phones?

Post by Shuffler »

Since I started the programme I've been wearing a top with a pocket, but now the weather's getting warmer my appropriate clothes don't have pockets. My son uses an armband but I'm finding it difficult to get on with. Any suggestions?
Gareth111278

Re: What do people use to carry their phones?

Post by Gareth111278 »

I use an arm band, I wasn't sold on it at first but it's not too bad, I just can't see the screen though!
The strap is abit short so it's quite tight round my arm just above my elbow.
I run my ear phone cable up the sleave of my T shirt to keep it from flapping about.
I'd like a longer strap so I can wear it higher on my upper arm but I'm quite a big lad !

Have you tried a 'bum bag'?
I've been thinking in the summer I might get a 'camel back' ruck sack so I have a drink , carry more weight to improve my workout & put my phone in too!
Ian

Post by Ian »

I use the pocket in my running shorts. I have a new pair of shorts that I want to wear, but no pocket. I've heard that the arm bands can get uncomfortable over long distances, so I'll be going for a belt when I get around to it and am doing distances that mean its a good idea to bring water with me (over 5k).

Anybody else got any feedback on this one? Camel backs seem ideal, but they are not cheap and with Irish weather there is no need for them over 5k.
Gareth111278

Post by Gareth111278 »

You are right , camel backs aren't cheep . We have a very small
Ruck sack that stays away from your body with a spring mesh frame thing just like a camel back. All I need is the bag & tube type camel back.

I tried tucking the phone in the top of my pants once, NOT COMFY LOL!!
matt

Post by matt »

I've tried a few different things. As you say, pockets are a bit hit-and-miss -- even many *men's* running shorts don't have pockets, and men are traditionally blessed with more pockets in their clothes than women. Also, internet sports clothes suppliers often don't say whether shorts have pockets or not, which is a bit of an oversight.

As an alternative, when wearing pocketless shorts, I use an armband (I use an Xtrememac one, though it looks like they aren't available any more) or a "bum bag"/"fanny pack", though the Nike one that I've got rather grandly calls itself an "audio waist pack".

The Nike thingy has some definite bonuses over generic bum bags, in that it's slim, with a pocket that fits the iPhone snugly, so it doesn't rattle around, and it also has routing holes for headphone cables, so you can zip it securely closed, but still have your headphone lead come out of the case nicely, in a way that doesn't strain the cable or risk getting it caught in a zip. The belt on the NIke one is elasticated and fits fine around my overly-ample waist, too :)

Hope that helps!
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
Shuffler

Post by Shuffler »

Thanks all. I think I'll look for the Nike bumbag. For water, you can buy the reservoir and tube without the rucksack. One brand is Platypus but there are others, and then you can use any rucksack.
Gareth111278

Post by Gareth111278 »

On my most recent run I tried having the arm band on the top of my forearm , it worked much better as I could see my phone & the strap wasn't stretched to its maximum!
Latestarter

Post by Latestarter »

Have you considered a spibelt? Available online. Small comfy expanding waist pack. Very useful if you just want phone key etc.
FBrun

Post by FBrun »

Ian wrote:I use the pocket in my running shorts. I have a new pair of shorts that I want to wear, but no pocket. I've heard that the arm bands can get uncomfortable over long distances, so I'll be going for a belt when I get around to it and am doing distances that mean its a good idea to bring water with me (over 5k).

Anybody else got any feedback on this one? Camel backs seem ideal, but they are not cheap and with Irish weather there is no need for them over 5k.
Hi Ian, I'd really like to know the make and ideally model of your running shorts - assuming you have the iPhone in the pocket. Any idea?

For water, I wear a small bum bag with a 300 ml Rucanor bottle like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rucanor-Fist-Ru ... B001UABXZU - I used to put this in my hoodie pocket when it was colder, now I put it in my running trousers pocket (Ronhill Trackster, plenty of room for iPhone in either zipped pocket - see http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004 ... 01_details and http://www.runningshoes.org.uk/site3/as ... kster.html for size guide).

The 300ml is OK for shorter runs, but now I'm up to 28 mins and the weather is hotter I might need a bigger bottle (they do a 500ml).

Of course I could just put the iPhone in the bum bag but it seems better in a pocket for random faffing - I've occasionally found that Get Running gets in a fight with the Runmeter app when they both talk at the same time, and the iPod music gets switched off.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hi fbrun,

They're Addidas, but beyond that I havent a clue. Plus side is the pockets. Negative side is that the lining is that stuff you get in swimming trunks... bit harsh. Still, that's what vaseline is for right?