Day 3 Running in Vibram 5 fingers shoes

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Sg318320

Day 3 Running in Vibram 5 fingers shoes

Post by Sg318320 »

Today was my second day running in vibram 5 finger shoes. I am new to barefoot running and trying to slowly adjust. I noticed while running that my body felt more relaxed. I have sciatica and when I run in regular running sneakers I tend to heel strike causing pain in my leg and back. When I was running in my 5fingers, I wasn't heel striking. I did not experienced any pain in my back while running these two days:) Because I wasn't having pain in my back, I enjoyed running today:) My calfs are sore but this is normal when new to vibrams. A good stretch does the trick. I need to also work on my breathing. I get a side stitch because I don't know how to regulate my breathing. I try to breath correctly but i just can't get a rhythm yet. Hope fully I can figure this out and regulate my breathing.
starknut

Re: Day 3 Running in Vibram 5 fingers shoes

Post by starknut »

Awesome, another Vibrams user! My husband introduced me to barefoot running, and I love it! It's true there's a bit of an adjustment period: your gait changes when there's no support/padding, and your muscles will definitely feel it until you're more used to it. It really made my shin splints flare up, but I feel great now and it actually bothers me more to run in regular shoes now.

Stick with it, you will find your "groove!" Best of luck.
Sg318320

Post by Sg318320 »

Thanks starknut. I just started week two/day 4 running in my vibrams. Starting to feel slight shin splints, but rest should help. Can't wait to run again tomorrow:)!!
Madline

Post by Madline »

I too run almost barefoot. I hadn't really run before starting this programme, well at least not for over 20 years. I had been walking barefoot more in the summer though. So I really started from scratch and knew I had to be extra mindful of my step. At the beginning (after a very brief lias with trainers) I ran in barefeet, it was warmer then, now I wear a kind of dance slipper with a thin leather sole which works very well. I find the walk at the beginning the hardest because my feet get very cold, once I have started running after the first few minutes then I generate heat and my feet are fine. Ive just finished w6r2 so theres no turning back for me. What really amazes me is that at no point have my feet felt sore or bruised I have new admiration and repect for feet!
At the beginning I did get very sore shins and then calf muscles, now ( touch wood) my legs are absolutely fine. I think it was caused more by the shock of exercise than anything else!
I'd love to hear how you get on with your vibram five fingers and this style of running.
Sg318320

Post by Sg318320 »

Hello Madline. I'm loving the VFF's! Maybe a little too much :D . I started to get sore in my right forefoot. My own fault! This is a common stress injury when starting barefoot running. They suggest that you SLOWLY break into the VFF's, but because I was enjoying running I pushed it a bit and now I need to take a few days off :( . I'm not one to like running because I have sciatica. Running in the VFF's has made running more comfortable for my back. Once my foot heals, I plan to ease back into my VFF's and build up some more strength. The VFF's are very comfortable and offer good protection with out taking away from the barefoot experience. I'll keep you posted :) .