Running Diet

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
NeilHughes1

Running Diet

Post by NeilHughes1 »

As I try and replace bad 30 years of bad habits with some good habits, I guess it was only a matter of time before I take a closer look at my diet.

Looking at the various articles online, these seem to be the most popular with runners.

Apples
Bananas
Broccoli
Wholegrain seeded bread
Wholegrain Rice/pasta
Yoghurt
Salmon

Can anyone else on here share their experience with healthier eating for our new pastime of being a runner.
starknut

Re: Running Diet

Post by starknut »

After I run, I cool off/fill up with a "Green Monster" smoothie: one cup of milk, one tablespoon of peanut butter, one tablespoon of wheat germ, two handfuls of fresh spinach, and one frozen banana. It is DELICIOUS. Between the run and smoothie, I feel great all day.

My husband and I are also giving up caffeine. This is a slow process in order to avoid the dreaded caffeine headaches (he has migraines anyway, which is why we were advised to cut back on coffee), and right now we're still having two cups a day, but it's with half-decaf grounds. We're down from three full-caffeine cups a day, so it's progress.
NeilHughes1

Post by NeilHughes1 »

I keep seeing peanut butter mentioned in all of the running lists, how could I forget that one, I cannot stand the stuff though so will have to search for a substitute.
starknut

Post by starknut »

If you put it in a smoothie like I do, you won't even taste it. Besides, you can get the protein and fat from something else entirely if nut butters aren't your thing.