humbled!

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
starknut

Re: humbled!

Post by starknut »

I wasn't having much luck working on speed, so I figured if I restarted the program, running at a faster pace, it would feel much more attainable. I was perfectly content to keep going at my snail-crawl, but my husband has been making excuses not to run and I thought that if I could go with him, it would be a better motivator. As it is, he doesn't run with me because I'm too slow, which is okay, because I don't run with him since he's too fast!
starknut

Post by starknut »

Made a mistake yesterday that I regretted 100% today. I went to an exercise class called "Pure Barre" and it was INTENSE. The walk home from the class was one long, sorry wobble. My leg muscles refused to cooperate! Woke up this morning a knotted, achy mess from the shoulders down, and facing w5r2. The warm up was a joke, I felt like a baby horse, legs wobbling and locking up... First run was okay, made it through with minimal difficulty, but everything seized up during the last run, with only 3 minutes left! Had to stop and stretch to ease it up, and picked up the pace a bit when I continued, and attempted a sprint for the last minute. So it's done and behind me and on to the big 20 minute run.

The sick thing is, I loved Pure Barre and will absolutely go again if the opportunity arises.
starknut

Post by starknut »

Today's warm up felt like walking to an execution. Not going to lie, all the positive encouragement I've been giving to others wasn't working it's magic on me. BUT. I did it. The big, scary, dreaded 20 minute run is DONE.
matt

Post by matt »

Well done! It's always great to see people smashing through that twenty-minute barrier :)

Matt
Matt. Splendid Things web guy and Android developer. Started running with Get Running in 2009. Three 10Ks and six half-marathons done since then :)
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Well done starknut! You did it! And especially after such a work-out, that's amazing!
I am slightly disappointed from my run yesterday, W6R1 was so much harder than the 20 minute run! Also, my right knee seems a bit swollen today..

I have to start and think of a new route to run, as the one I was doing so far always (4k) is starting to get too short for warm-up+running!
starknut

Post by starknut »

How is your knee, Liz? Have you found a new route for your runs?
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Hi,

knee seems to be ok, thanks! I still have to do run 2 and 3 of week 6 this week :( I wanted to go this morning, but had so extremely much muscle ache, that I couldn't do it. I went to two fencing trainings this week (hence the muscle ache!), where I sweated three times more than during my runs, so at least I don't feel bad about not having been able to complete the runs. I will try to go out tomorrow and finish at least one of the two runs of the week! I am almost thinking about skipping run 2 of week 6 and jump immediately to run 3, as I prefer running straight for 20min instead of doing intervals! Not sure if that's a good idea, though?
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Wohooooo, I just ran my first 25 minutes non-stop! It was hot and halfway through the run a clown suddenly chased me :lol: (there was some kind of festival going on for children) - so I did a little sprint to get the clown to run harder and to make the kids laugh. After that, I managed to get my breathing back to normal and to get into my normal pace again.
So proud of myself :)
How is your week going? Still problems with shin splits?
starknut

Post by starknut »

LMAO! A clown! That's definitely motivation to keep going!

I also had my first 25 minute run today, and I'm sorry to report, there were no clowns. My son, however, decided I needed a little shove and tried to toss balls onto the treadmill with me. An obstacle course, what a novel idea, right? I wasn't too thrilled. I had to stop after fifteen minutes and stretch my legs: if I had only another five minutes left, I could have powered through. Oh well! Next week for sure!

My shins are fine, surprisingly. Still achy, but I don't notice once I'm running. How is your knee?
lizmizje

Post by lizmizje »

Ah, an obstacle course does not make it easier indeed! Good luck with the next try, just take your time and do what feels right, I'd say!

My knees are still slightly swollen.. they don't hurt though, so I guess it's time for another 25 minute run tomorrow :shock: it's good to know that the next 3 runs will be the same, as I can run the same route and see if I can increase the speed a bit. I felt like a snail yesterday, people passing me by from left and right all the time, but I tried not to let myself be pulled out of my rhythm. At the moment, surviving those 25 minutes is the only important thing. Speed will come later!

happy running :)