Week Five question

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
duffas_friend

Week Five question

Post by duffas_friend »

Just did day 1 of week five yesterday and made it. Was looking ahead to the next run which goes up to 8 mins instead of 5 which I'm a bit concerned about but sure I can get there but the next day it jumps up to 20mins! There is no way I can do that! The week after though it goes back down again, just wondering if this was right?!?!
flyboy

Re: Week Five question

Post by flyboy »

That is correct!

We've all been there, my friend. That 20 minute run is the run. There is no other run in the entire program that comes close to being as significant as that one.

If you look through the forum archives, you will find lots of threads that feature runners freaking out about the prospect of doing the 20 minuter. But you will also see that the vast majority of people are delighted to discover that they were able to do it. I know that right now it seems an impossibility, but you'll be amazed at what you can do!

Just go as slowly as you need to. A lot of us find that your body just 'takes over' at some point along that run, having developed a rhythm and carrying us forward. You will feel marvellous if you complete it, because it is such a gamechanger; overnight you will go from the person who considers themselves a total beginner to somebody who believes 30 minutes is absolutely doable.

The fear is okay. Just take a few deep breaths and give it a go... :D
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

Just finished w5r2 and I had to check the app to make sure I hadn't chosen the wrong week. I am scared to death about r3 this week. Please post how you did.
Altegolibby

Post by Altegolibby »

W5r3done. I found a trick that worked for me. I downloaded music that matched my running pace and made sure i had brisk music for my warm up, then 20 minutes of quicker music (im slow so i used about 150 beats per minute) then 5minutes of fun music, but slower paced, for the cool down. I also shortened my stride a little. I want to hear how you did and also ask if you have any tips for me. :D
Alura

Post by Alura »

I just finished my 20 minute run! 2 weeks ago I would have said it was impossible! I agree about the music and shortening my stride. At the end I just kept running, it was so natural by then. It's the first 5 minutes that test me. I'm pretty slow, though. All in good time, I guess