Walking inbetween running days?

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
flyboy

Walking inbetween running days?

Post by flyboy »

I was just wondering what the guidelines are for walking on non-running days? Obviously we all have to walk every day, but is there a recommended limit in case it compromises our leg muscles for the next day's run?
Dixie

Re: Walking inbetween running days?

Post by Dixie »

Hi Flyboy - I am definitely no expert on this running programme, however, I can offer my own personal experience. I have two VERY athletic dogs that need a lot of exercise and they get walked off lead (or rather I walk and they run!) twice a day, for a minimum of 40 mins each time. On my running days I run with them on the morning 'walk' but then I go out again in the afternoon/eve and walk them. I used to walk at a really slow pace with them, whilst they charged all over the place, however, since I have started this programme, I naturally walk at a much faster pace than I used to because I am in the habit of doing that between runs! :) All I can say is that I have not found this to be a problem at all and, in fact, I reckon it probably helps build the strength in my legs. Afterall, at walking pace, you are not really asking THAT much of your muscles? And you can always slow right down to a crawl! :D

As I say, I am no expert but I feel, certainly now that you have been running sometime (maybe it would be different in the early day if someone was quite unfit) that walking between runs should not give you any problem at all and in fact will do some good. Just my opinion though!
Timl2k10

Post by Timl2k10 »

When the weather is nice I can't help but walk on the golf course. It's purely for pleasure, a very relaxed pace, not brisk, usually 40 minutes or so. If I had a pool and was looking for cardio to do on my off days I would swim, so if anyone wants to install a pool in my backyard let me know. :mrgreen:
flyboy

Post by flyboy »

Thanks for the replies guys, but Tim...you can install that pool yourself! :lol: