Running in the cold

Just starting out with Get Running? Chat about the basics of running, what clothes to wear, where to run... anything you like!
Pinkiehatch

Running in the cold

Post by Pinkiehatch »

Hi there. I'm looking for some advise on running in the current freezing conditions. I'm on week 3 run 2 and our local temp is estimated to be minus 10 tomorrow! Am I still ok to go out?
Big_G

Re: Running in the cold

Post by Big_G »

I read somewhere recently (Men's Health I think) that you burn calories faster to keep warm when you exercise in cold weather, that's got to be a bonus right? Just mind you don't slip on the icy bits :-)
expat68

Post by expat68 »

Lightweight layers are the way to go. I wear a running top that wicks the sweat away, with a light top and gilet over it (though I'm tempted to buy a thermal top). You can get running gloves & hats that do the same, though I just wear my normal hat and gloves then take them off when I warm up and stick them in my pocket. I find that my headphones are enough to keep my ears warm. :) You can also get a running scarf to cover your mouth and nose and breathe through that. I haven't bothered as it hasn't been *that* cold - although today (about 1C) my lungs did ache a little. I'd imagine a normal scarf wouldn't be comfortable because you'd end up with damp condensed breath against your face.

You're fine to run in the cold as long as you're prepared! :)
FBrun

Post by FBrun »

Running in the cold is a bit like skiing but you get warmer quicker. I have been wearing a T shirt and 2 sweatshirts - on a colder day (-5C or so) I also wore a thin anorak. Just jeans on legs. Plus hat and warm gloves. After 15 min on week 2 run I am no longer cold in legs and never felt cold in trunk - only a bit in hands to start with despite skiing gloves. Feels good to not have an excuse not to run really!